1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hock Joints

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mirjam, Aug 30, 2008.

1. mirjam

mirjam Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Vermont
    I For the last month or so I have noticed that my cockerel's hock joints seem to be loose (for lack of a better word). They kinda wobble from one side to the other when he shifts his weight of when he is on uneven ground. He is now 4 months old and doesn't seem to be affected by his wobbly hocks. He is as active as the rest of the flock.
    I wonder if he has poor joints or if this is something that will go away when done with growing up?

Any thoughts?

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am just thinking you might want to try vitamin therapy with him and see if that helps.

Are they swollen at all?

3. mirjam

mirjam Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Vermont
    No swelling or any other unusual looks to the joints and legs.
    He is on regular grower food, has unlimited access to grass and other greens, eats lots of insects and gets whatever we have in terms of leftover veggies and fruits.

And one more thing: The condition has remained unchanged since I first noticed it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    That sounds like a balanced diet. I am thinking maybe you could cut out all the leftover fruit and veggies and see what happens?! I donno, I just think it might put the 'balance' out of 'balance'

Somebody else would probably know more than me about this hock joint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by