Hog finisher?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by halo, Jun 12, 2008.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I was reading on another list where people are feeding their chickens hog finisher since its cheaper than chicken feed right now. Has anyone any experience with this?

2. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I have not heard of hog finisher, but a mill tried to sell me cow feed crumbles the other day.

He said it was better than laying pellets.

I opted for the laying pellets instead.

Take a look at the tag and see what it has in it. I doubt it would have the sufficient nutrients the hens need.

Darin

3. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Ive done it when I was low on chicken feed but not consistantly. I will recount my friends exp's. He has been feeding his hog finisher for years and has a fine flock of chickens. Ive never seen him have any problems with his chickens. [​IMG]

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Hog finisher will run about 12% to 14% protein. There is not alot of difference in the make up of the 2 feeds. However there is some difference. You will need more protein to start with. Both feeds have low fiber content. If I had hog finisher on hand and ran out of chicken feed i would use it. [​IMG]

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Its probably mostly corn. Great for fattening a chicken - questionable as a singular feed for layers.

6. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    I too just purchased the local feed mills brand of "Pork maker". 80% corn and a protien suppliment added. The reason is that I can't find any pullet developer reation anywhere around here, and I need to start dropping the protien level in my feed. I'm mixing it with 20% grower crumbs to get the protien down below 18%. Even a little lower would be better. Until they start laying.....I've have found in the past that it's a good idea to listen to the folks at your local elevator. most of your developer/grower rations are mostly made up of corn anyway.

7. plspriska

plspriska New Egg

Jun 6, 2013
    someone at my local feed store told me that people here buy hog finisher to feed to their laying hens, and when fed with regular food it practically doubles egg production. idk id thats even possible. im new at this. i have a flock of 25 and 1 rooster (i think) they are only 6 wks old

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  8. plspriska

plspriska New Egg

Jun 6, 2013
    [​IMG]

9. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

There is not enough methionine in a hog feed for great growth in a chicken. If you intend to feed layers then you will be feeding them a rations that will be severely deficient in phosphorus and calcium as well as methionine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by