Hog rings and 1/2" hardware cloth.

Ladyhawke1

Songster
11 Years
Oct 18, 2008
Southern California coast
Has anyone ever used hog rings to attach 1/2 '' hardward cloth to your chain link fences? How did it work out and do you have any other suggestions?
hmm.png

Welded wire is just that: at each intersection of a vertical wire with a horizontal wire, the connection is welded.

Woven wire is just that, too: instead of welding at the intersection of wires, the wires are just twisted around each other.

Hardware cloth is usually although not always welded, while chicken wire (sometimes called hex wire) is woven.

Welded is much stronger than woven.

I've used hog rings (tightened afterwards with pliers) to make monkey enclosures out of cattle panel (at a primate sanctuary. they weren't my pets & I would never suggest anybody get a monkey as a pet
roll.png
). is your question whether it will hold up? I would think that as long as you can get the hog ring on without messing up the hardware cloth (like bending or crimping) it would work fine, and with 1/2" you should be golden
smile.png

edited for spelling

Last edited:
I use hog rings to join the cattle panels that form the roof of my hoop coops. I use j-clips to attach hardware cloth to the bottom two feet and 1" chicken wire to the tops. The cattle panels are nailed to a 2"x6" bottom frame with 1' staples.

John

My 25' x 30' turkey run has 6' high chain link fence that I spliced together with hog rings, plus I have used 2' high chicken wire on the inside, hog ringed it to the chain link and so far it is working fine. But it can get pricey, but if I cost out what I have in a coop, run, netting and birds....it would be cheaper to buy a Thanksgiving Bird from the store.....this hobby is like fishing, golfing and hunting....you can't look at the cost....only the enjoyment.

I was watching a video of using the hog rings. Do they then have sharp points sticking out? I wouldn't think that would be safe for flapping around in. 🤔

All the hog rings I've used are blunt end. Also I attach them on the outside of my fencing (I have hardware cloth over chain link) so extremely unlikely the birds would accidentally touch it.

Back
Top Bottom