Hogging the coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tyedyefire, Oct 5, 2013.

1. tyedyefire

tyedyefire New Egg

Sep 21, 2013
    Sacramento CA
    I have 2 hens about 8 months old and 2 chicks about 3 months old. My problem is that my older hens have established their places in the coop and bully the chicks when they are put in for the night. This makes the babies seek refuge in the nesting box and I don't want them sleeping in the nesting box but I also don't want them to be pecked at and run out of the coop....what should I do?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How big is your coop?
    How long is your roosting bar?
    Were the hens and chicks just integrated into the same coop?

3. tyedyefire

tyedyefire New Egg

Sep 21, 2013
    Sacramento CA
    The coop is 3' 5" x 4' 5", there are two nesting bars one runs diagonal / and one runs horizontal |, not sure of the measurements and the chicks where just integrated about a month ago, maybe a bit longer.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Maybe take the chicks out of the nesting box and put them on the roost after dark when they are in their night coma.
    Might have to do that for a few nights before they get the idea.

.......and/or maybe block off the nest box at night so they can't get in there.

Do the chicks get pecked all the time or just during roosting time? After a month you'd think they'd have worked out the pecking order.

Maybe repost a new thread with 'integration problem' in the title, you might get more feedback.

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Madding isn't it. Young chicks sleeping in the nest boxes, getting them dirty. I just went through it with a broody raised pullet. I mostly blocked the boxes. The putting them on the roost till they get the message is another way. The only other option is to put up with it till they decide not to sleep there, which they may never do. There usually is some pecking while a flock settles in. That is part of the pecking order the top bird gets to chose where they sleep and will defend that choice. At twelve weeks they aren't always mature enough to accept that, so they hide.

6. barnaclebob

barnaclebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    I have a coop about the same size as yours, a little smaller actually. I had to put in two roosting bars, both at diagonals to the walls, at different heights, and far enough apart so that the older hens couldn't reach the younger hens. The older hens will go for the higher bar so they should be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by