Hogs next door

carladababe

Songster
9 Years
Nov 25, 2010
Dixon, Missouri
Hello,
Our neighbor just put in 3 sows and a boar, and plans to put in 3 more sows. He says he's going to move the little ones to the other side of his property to raise for market. My concern is for run off. My property is below his, along with the other neighbors on the piglet side. His hogs are right off the county road, directly in front of my driveway. The run off on the other side is in a direct line to the other neighbors well. I have no problem with someone raising pigs, I have neighbors that raise cattle, and we have horses. We have approached him asking what his plans are for the run off and says he's hoping they'll poop and pee up closer to the shelter, then gives us the deer in the head lights look. Others have talked with him because he has another option that doesn't encroach on any one yet he still brought them in. We have been in touch with the DNR people and are waiting for replies as to his legal responsibilities. Any ideas from the people of this forum to protect us from nasty run off and still be good neighbors?

Depends on the size of their pens. 4 pigs don't put out that much waste if they're not too closely confined.

As for the well, if it is a deep well, which it should be, there's no problem there either.
A deep well is intended to keep surface water from entering the potable water.
All kinds of animals defecate on the surface of soil. Pigs shouldn't be viewed any differently.

ETA

How's Dixon doing? My grandparents had a farm and fishing lodge on the Gasconade about 50+ years ago. It was called 'The Shady Rest'.
Oh, and they had lots of hogs.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reassurance, I've had 2 ag people say the same. Our home of Dixon is well, just had Cow Days where I once again did not win the cow:) Love it here, this will be our 10th winter. I ride with our neighbor and is now a problem getting out of our drive with horses, they're not fond of the pigs but I am hoping they'll get used to them so we don't have to find a back door off the property. My chickens find all this highly entertaining.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom