Hogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CaseyV, Sep 29, 2015.

1. CaseyV

CaseyV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Mississippi
    Does anyone know a trick to keep hogs from dumping their water trough out? no matter how much water I put in it they will manage to find a way to make a mess with it. Very frustrating, I'm ready for them to go to the slaughter house (just being honest)
    Thanks!

2. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    Get a heavy rounded concrete bowl. Found one at farm store for $25.

3. CaseyV

Jul 11, 2013
    Mississippi
    Thanks for your reply. I will go look tomorrow.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Hog nipple waterers. They're the only way to go IMO. It's also funny to watch them squirt themselves in the face when it's hot [​IMG]

5. CaseyV

Jul 11, 2013
    Mississippi
    I will look into that also. My big sow likes to be sprayed with the hose, she will stand in front of it and open her mouth lol.

6. Kingheman

Kingheman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2014
    Georgia
  7. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    if you do go the hog nipple route, be sure to pour a thick concrete slab under it, that slopes away from the pen.

they will literally sit there biting the nipple, and let the water run out of their mouth, to make a huge mudhole/mess.

8. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2015

I don't have that problem. I have a livestock tank outside of the pig pen. I have a small threaded pipe running through the fence with the nipple attached to the end.

It works like a charm and the pigs can't turn over the tank. But all pigs are different.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mine just make a hole. they use it as a wallow and we're okay with that. When we process the hogs we disassemble the pen and use the tractor to fix the ground.

10. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2015
    This is kinda off the subject but we have been raking acorns for two days now. We have a 45 gallon trash can filled and two 35 gallon cans.

It ain't all acorns because of some leaves and grass in it but we did get a lot of acorns. People think we are nuts. They are probably right.

We have a couple more spots and we will gather more. It is good pig food and puts the weight on them quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by