Hogs??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by josh, Jan 21, 2009.

1. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Any good sights on raising hogs? I have found some baby pigs and thinking about getting one. Is $35 to high for a just weaned piggie?

2. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Around here, the price is around $1/lb for a feeder pig. We paid $45 for our first pigs and they were 45 - 50 lbs.

3. jlbpooh

jlbpooh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2007
    Catawba, SC
    I think that sounds reasonable. We paid $40 for ours at that age. I have found some good info on this site. Do a search for pigs or hogs under the other pets and livestock section and you will get quite a bit of info.

They are very easy to raise. We feed ours sweet feed, bread (from the day old bakery), and household scraps, plus any extra or broken eggs. We worm them once every 3-4 weeks. We also stopped at a neighbors that had a huge garden and got their leftovers once a week. Several grocery stores around here will give people their spoiled produce, but there is someone locally that has made claims on all that. We have even checked with a few restaurants, but haven't had luck there. Good luck and have fun.

4. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    I'd jump on a $35 baby. Average around here is $40. build a good fence and be ready for some serious rooting. Pigs are the greatest natural rototillers I have ever seen!

5. josh

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Dang, I guess I should have bought the ones I found last January for $10 each they had 2.

6. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Actually I bought 6 in November for $10 each but they came with a Mama. I was not ready for 500lbs of hungry Moma! That was a lesson learned the hard way, but a pig farmer is very happy with his free Sow right now.

7. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    We paid $20.00 each for feeder pigs here. When DH first decided to get pigs he got two planning to keep one to breed, But changed his mind when he found a farmer who sells them so cheap. We fed ours pig grower then pig feed. right before fdwe were getting ready to process we started adding sweet feed to their diet. They got alot of veggies from the garden too. Don't feed them alot of corn it just puts fat on them. When we processed ours the butcher could not believe just how little fat they had on them. They were 350 pounds and 275 pounds live weight. Biggest dang pork chops I have ever seen lol

8. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
  9. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    Pigs are suprisingly easy to raise. We have a pen that's about a half-care, fenced with field fence and a single strand of electrified wire to keep them from rooting under it.

We're picking up two new ones Sunday morning, $25 each and they weigh 25-30 pounds.

You won't believe how much better the meat tastes.

10. josh

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by