Hola

Calpost

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Sierra Foothills, CA
I've been searching around trying to figure out a way to keep a new goose nest and eggs safe Without irritating the parents. We have a very large pond, live in the woods of the Sierra foothills And we've never had geese nesting here before. Previously we've had domestic ducks that did very well but had no interest in sitting on their eggs. This pair of Canadian geese showed up weeks ago and now we have a nest. The problem is that there is no stinking way there will be any surviving babies Because we have every sort of predator you can imagine. I'm also very concerned for the female being out of water at nighttime, I'm worried somethings got to get her as well. Today is just her first day of laying up so I still have some time to figure something out but what? I was actually considering putting three sides up of a very large, cyclone fence talk run so the only opening was right at the pond. I am certain that she won't freak out because I've done a lot of things around her and she's pretty comfortable with me. .. just looking for ideas, thank you :)))

Welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!
welcome-byc.gif

If you put up fencing, make it large enough so that she and the gander have maneuverability - he is her prime protector when she is setting and can best most smal to medium sized predators. Good luck to you and them - welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom