Hold my hand - real basic coop plans!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fmernyer, Apr 18, 2012.

1. fmernyer

fmernyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    [​IMG]

Okay - kinda silly - a photograph of the plans - but its what I got right now...

Definitely 6 - possibly 8 chickens.

8' x 5 ' X 4' coop. (height depends on how much we lift it off ground, I think)

3 nest boxes - 12x14"- 8" off floor - sloping tops.

Two back doors that swing open for cleaning at back of coop. Loose netting to discourage free for all when cleaning, if necessary. No lip on bottom (or removable) for ease when cleaning.

Roosts - 3 roosts?- made with rounded edge 2X2's or equivalent branches - same height? 12" away from wall - 12" away from each other? One ladder? Higher than nests. Removable for cleaning.

Pop hole - 20"H with ramp (30 deg or less I hear)

4 vents - front to back - not sure of size of vents yet.

Not working on run, yet. That will come. Am I missing something?

Thanks!!

~Dawn

2. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    you might want to put thefeed and water where you can reach it easily without going thru the coop., I am thinking about nest boxes accessable from outside, but decided to get add on another roosting coop instead, then leave the main coop for nesting and eating.

3. fmernyer

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    Aha! I'll move them closer to the door. Getting to the nest boxes from the outside would be the best - but I'm afraid of making the design too complicated since we don't have a lot of skills - lol. I'll look into it and see what the mister thinks. That would free up space by the door for the water/feeder.

What size should the vents be and/or should I be including plexiglass window for light or something? Seems like a big dark box right now.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Raise it off the ground so you can stand and work. Make everything accessible from the outside of the coop without having to go into the run.

Just my experience.

Chris

5. fmernyer

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    Yes! I was thinking knee height or thereabouts for just that reason - thank you! I imagine it will make it just a bit harder for the critters to get in, too!

6. cantwellcolton

cantwellcolton Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    what are you making the nest boxes out of? - if theyre just wooden boxes just put a hinge on it with a latch - no real skills needed there.
    [​IMG]

7. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    If you put it on legs and raise it off the ground 2' and fence it the chickens can go under for shade and snow/rain protection. I stapled plastic feed bags to the bottom of our coop for protection this past winter.

8. fmernyer

Apr 9, 2012
    CT

'no real skills' being relative [​IMG]

But yeah - I think we're gonna try that. Thanks!

9. fmernyer

Apr 9, 2012
    CT

Interesting idea! If I didn't include that space in the run then they can go there when they're free rangin'!

10. cantwellcolton

cantwellcolton Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    yeah i guess thats true - but i meant it is pretty simple and straight forward - and if you had any questions or doubts you could consult your kitchen cabinets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by