HOLDBACK!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensducks&agoose, Oct 30, 2008.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two sister ameraucana's, same age. I got them about 2 weeks ago from a really nice lady with an overabundance of chickens. Anyway, Hannah Montana lays a nice greenish egg every day, but Beth refuses! Every day, i am disappointed, and only have 1 little egg. Also, Hannah Montana laid an egg in my husbands workshop the other day... snuck in while the door was open... is it normal for her to hide eggs instead of putting them in the box?

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    It's not unusual for a hen to "steel" a nest (hide it) so her behavior is quite normal. The other hen may just need time to begin laying again and readjust [​IMG]

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    chickensducks&agoose :

I have two sister ameraucana's, same age. I got them about 2 weeks ago from a really nice lady with an overabundance of chickens. Anyway, Hannah Montana lays a nice greenish egg every day, but Beth refuses! Every day, i am disappointed, and only have 1 little egg. Also, Hannah Montana laid an egg in my husbands workshop the other day... snuck in while the door was open... is it normal for her to hide eggs instead of putting them in the box?

It is quite normal for a hen to hide her eggs. She is wanting a safe place to lay where she can hatch some biddies.​

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    The change in environment probably stopped her from laying...give her time. Some of my girls were laying the day I moved them into the new coop, others took a few days and my EE took almost 2 weeks to lay again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by