Holderread embdens

ultasol

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
SE Washington
Anyone here have Holderread line embdens purchased from them in the last few years? I am considering selling my Buff American flock this spring in favor of Embdens (for future year production) since I am enjoying eating my culls, but would like a larger breed with more meat on the 'extra' birds.

I am already getting additional Sebastopols from them in the Spring (were ordered for last year but they ran out, so have had a deposit in since Spring of 2009).

I have heard that their line of Embdens gets particularly large.

Feedback?

Yes, i have an embden gander from their breeding. I got him just this past spring in my assortment and he is HUGE! There is a pic of him on the goose pix page (he is in the one in the middle) The two hens are also desceded from holderreads birds, but they look small due to being a very late hatch in June or July i think. We also just this past summer got rid all of our old embdens as they were almost nine years old. They too were from holderreads. In 2005 our best hen won Grand Champion Female waterfowl and best in show at our local fair of about 1,000 birds. Her gander also won grand champion male waterfowl that same year. The next year she was reserve champion female waterfowl. A daughter of hers (and larger than her) continued that same tradition winning Grand Champ female waterfowl in 2007 and reserve in 2008. They are simply massive birds.

This is the reserve gander this was taken just last year
Picture-1.jpg

my young trio
103_1101.jpg

The gander in front was a bit of a runt but the one right behind him is the hen that won in 05 & 06
IMG_0544.jpg

You got your gander in an assortment from them?

I love my buffs, but I think a larger meat breed would be better. I like to exhibit, but I also like goose (and there are always some birds that aren't up to snuff). I just butchered a young buff gander last night. Hard for me to do (because I do like them and they are personable), but one can only have SO many ganders and goose is tasty. He was a cull for having white under the chin. I ate all the 'runty sized' ones earlier this year.

I wanted a breed that will:
a) large
b) no fertility issues (I already have my high maintenance breed- exb toulouse)
c) dress clean
d) showable

Sounds like the embdens from their stock should measure up!

You got your gander in an assortment from them?

yes this last spring i order an 12 exhibition gosling assortment. I recieved 13 but one died on the trip. Our older embdens were second generation holderreads from my uncle who got his birds directly through their hatchery.

Breeding was never really a problem especially when then were younger birds. A full sister too that winning hen who was also about nine years old gave a friend of mine the only seven goslings that either of us hatched ourselves this year. Those two young hens are from her and she was bred with one of the original ganders that my uncle had got had who is about a year or two older than her.

The white feathers dress up really clean as i too enjoy the taste of gose.​

I have holdereads embdens and really like them. You need to be aware that you will proably not get any eggs the first year and if you do they will not be fertile. It takes along time for these birds to mature because they are so big. They also need plenty of exercise as they are growing and not alot of high protien feed becuase they might have leg problems.

Back
Top Bottom