Holderread Rare Duckling Assortment

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kiwijean83, Jan 6, 2013.

1. kiwijean83

kiwijean83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2012
    Bend, OR
    These will be our first ducks ever, and I am seriously considering ordering 10 Rare Duckling Assortment from Holderread Hatchery since I cannot make up my mind on what I want (so let fate decide!). We only want to keep 3-5 ducks for eggs/slug demolition, so I figure I can sell/rehome those that we don't want to keep (and it is actually about the same cost from Holderread even with shipping as ducklings at our feed store :) ). I have read good reviews from members of BYC.

My questions is: for those that have ordered the assortment, did you get a lot of variety in your shipment, or were they all 1 breed? I would love to hear from you, pics are also appreciated. Thank you all!

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    [​IMG]

I haven't ordered from them but I am sure as with most hatcheries you could end up with one of each or all one breed. I would suggest that you do a little more research on the breeds and decide on one maybe two. The breeds that you could get in this assortment would require somewhat different care. Bantam breeds fly very well and need an enclosed aviary along with housing as opposed to other breeds that need only secure housing and fencing.

Think about what you want ducks for, eggs, lawn ornaments, meat etc. Do you want a loud duck or a more quiet duck, a friendly duck or more skittish, etc. Every breed is different.

Also remember that just because you have extras does not mean that you will have buyers. Holderreads doesn't sex them so theoretically you will get 50/50 male/female but you could end up with mostly males. It is much more difficult to find buyers for single drakes. I have had to give away ducklings (runners and muscovy) and extra roos in the past because I couldn't find buyers.

Good luck on your ducky adventure.

3. kiwijean83

Sep 22, 2012
    Bend, OR
    Thanks jdywntr, i appreciate the input. Mostly want eggs and pest control, but I am fine if they end up in the freezer too. Just so hard to pick, they are all so cute! (and a lot of work, but I think with our set up and property we will be okay).

4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I haven't looked at their ad lately, but usually when one buys an assortment you are guaranteed at least x number of different breeds.+

5. Spifflove

Spifflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    An assortment usually guarantees 3 or more breeds. In my experience it also means unwanted males and such creatures as white Appleyards and other culls.

6. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Holderreads does not sex there ducklings. I saw 1 person get an assortment of mainly runners and another got all White magpies. But with an assortment anything is possible. Ideal Hatchery is offering an assortment of 20 hatchlings born on 1/9 for $1.95 each. But that is alot of duck poo.

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Holderread doesn't guarantee any number of breeds, it is strictly their choice. Their site states that they fill orders for specifics first (which all hatcheries do) then they have an order in which they fill assortments. There are 7 assortments and the rare one is the 5th in line.

Because they don't sex, you are much less likely to get only males (unlike many hatcheries that sex and sell straight run which is almost a guarantee for all males). But you never know. I would still suggest that you research more and narrow it down. Either way, let us know what you decide and post pics when you get them.

8. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Here's the info directly from their site:

Please Note: On hatch days, after orders for specific breeds are filled, the assortments are put together in the sequence listed below. The specific varieties included in these assortments are OUR CHOICE--no exceptions.

Bantam Duckling Assortment
    A lively and colorful assortment of these easily tamed, miniature ducklings. Will include (our choice) as many of the following as are available any given week: Greenhead, Bluehead & Silverhead Australian Spotted; Miniature Silver Appleyard; and Black, White, & Gray Silkie ducklings. (We do not ship East Indie & Call ducklings due to their extreme small size.)
    Exhibition Runner Assortment
    Includes only American Poultry Association recognized Runner color varieties from our Top Show Quality matings. We will include as many varieties as are available that week: White, Black, Blue, Fawn & White, and Penciled Runners.
    Exhibition Duckling Assortment
    An outstanding selection of ducklings out of our Top Show Quality matings. Will include only breeds and varieties recognized by the American Poultry Association. May include any of the following: Campbell, Cayuga, Black and Blue Magpies, Runners (in the above list), Saxony, Silver Appleyard and Welsh Harlequin.
    Deluxe Runner Assortment
    We send as many different colors as possible. May include both APA recognized varieties as well as any of the extremely rare non-standard varieties we raise.
    Rare Duckling Assortment
    A fascinating assortment of ducklings selected from our many rare breeds. May include any of the following: Miniature Appleyard, Australian Spotted, Silkie, Dutch Hook Bill, Magpies, Saxony, Silver Appleyard, Welsh Harlequin, and rare colors of Runners.
    Fancy Duckling Assortment
    A beautiful collection in a wide array of colors, sizes and shapes. May include any breed we raise.
    Bargain Duckling Assortment
    Includes any grade A ducklings remaining after all other assortment orders have been filled.

9. kiwijean83

Sep 22, 2012
    Bend, OR
    Thanks everyone. I have read through their entire website (still can't figure out where i found time to spend doing that). Thanks for the info CristineR. Ducksinarow, i appreciate what you have heard from others personal experience with the assortments, good to know. I looked at the Ideal assortmet, but I think 20 ducklings is over our capacity :) even if I end up stuck with 10, with our set up it could work but we would be maxed out.

Still trying to decide (impulsive me is fighting with logical me). Will let you all know who wins, either way there will be pics later!

If anyone else knows what other people have gotten, i would love to hear from you!

10. kiwijean83

Sep 22, 2012
    Bend, OR
    Well, I made a compromise: I have placed my order for 2 dutch hook bills, 2 welsh harlequins and 6 rare assortment (crossing my fingers for variety). Phew, glad that is out of the way, it was frustrating to be undecided! Now just comes the waiting...I hate waiting :) Patience is not my best attribute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by