Holderread Sebastopols....

muscovy94

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
Hey everyone I've heard alot of things about holderreads sebastopols about how good they are and that they are the best in the country, so I am asking everyone that has bought sebastopols from them to please post a pic so I can see what the ones look like that come from their.

THANKS!!
smile.png
smile.png

muscovy94.
smile.png

Quote:
Yes i've been to the website, but sometimes on some of these hatchery websites they have pictures of their birds that look absolutely beautiful, but when the babies grow up they end up looking nothing like the pictures quality. do you know what i mean?

Of course they would only photgraph their best. That is good marketing!
smile.png

And no one can guarantee what offspring will grow up to be. Feathered or not.

But Holderreads is the premier waterfowl breeder in North America at least and their rep is solid, if that helps.

All I'm going to say is some people think he has the best Sebs in the U.S. and some people (including long time breeders/exhibitors) think they're trash so I guess it all depends on what you like and what you get.
Best wishes no matter who you buy from.

Searching for quality breeding stock is a good start, but once the offspring reach there new home there are many factors that build a final result!

For example: I sold some Sumatra & Yokohama chicks to 2 4H kids. They were eggs out of the same breeding pens- hatched in one batch and split between the two kids. At fair time the one kids birds looked excellent and took many ribbons. The other kids birds were just alright. So the same birds, raised in different situations, had different results.

Feed, Space, care, etc are the variable factors that affect the offspring of any good breeding program. That makes it hard to always judge a breeding program by comparing offspring raised by different methods.

sebs1.jpg

sebs2.jpg

Our flock of Sebastopols is made up of several bloodlines- including some Holderreads.

Randy www.spectrumranch.net & www.sosranch.net

Heritage Auction dates Feb 26-28, 2009 see websites for details
Antiques- FEB 26 & 27
Firearms FEB 26
Animals Feb 28

I agree with Randy, management can make a big difference in a birds appearance but genetics determines most of it.
In any given hatch or litter of anything, no matter who its from, even elite breeder, I would dare say as an example... out of a hatch of say 10 gosling's you might get a couple that are show quality.
Theres an old saying in show circles...champion x champion = chumpion, so when people say that the offspring are out of show birds and they're show quality it basically mean nothing. Theres just no guarantee.
Granted some breeders through years of selective breeding and culling have refined the breeding stock they're working with and can pretty much stamp out the same type time and time again but I wouldn't pay a premium price for so call "show quality" babies because you never know what they're going to look like as adults. Thats why alot of breeders don't sell gosling's until Fall because they grow them out to see how they turn out and keep the best and sell the rest. You really have to breed your own keepers and then follow through with good management.

Heres another factor...Sebastopols can looking pretty ratty during late winter - the breeding season, due to wear and tear on their long feathers.
Many lose quite a few and just aren't as pretty vs. after they molt late summer/fall and get their new feathers in. They're in their prime feather Fall though about mid winter. Some will blow alot of their feathers and some will retain them pretty good but all of them suffer from wear and tear to those long flowing feathers. You will also have white feathers everywhere when they start shedding.

Randy what other bloodlines are your Sebastopols from?

Back
Top Bottom