Holderread Winter Sales?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hossfeathers, Nov 4, 2011.

1. hossfeathers

hossfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Does anyone have any insight to the time that Holderread normally offers their adult birds? It really feels like fall-going -on-winter here, and their website still lists last year's offerings. I have already put in a request, but I don't want to bug them, so I would like to know if anyone has heard any more definate dates for this year, or knows when they started shipping birds in previous years.

2. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I never even new that they had a winter sale of adult birds. I just went to their website to check it out...I'm just curious, how can you justify spending that much for an adult? The shipping, in my opinion, is outrageous. Why don't you just buy day-old ducklings? Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, I'm just curious. Maybe if you have a really good reason I can use it to persuade my family to buy some from them this fall. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  3. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    I just recieved my pair of adult ducks today that I ordered. I did a lot of emailing with them, so if you have emailed them just wait a bit because I don't think they check emails often on weekends. But, they did email me back almost every day on weekdays. Excellent, excellent service and help I'd have to say! Best 1st experience possible. I bet they will still ship adult birds this year!!

Best of luck.

4. hossfeathers

hossfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Well, I don't deny the higher cost. If all I wanted was a duck duck, there is no way I'd pay what Holderread is asking.

However, what I'm specifically looking for is Appleyards, and HR is the original developer of SA in the USA.

Plus, I respect the heck out of what he is doing. So for me, given the risk involved with day olds, and the labor involved with hatching eggs, to me the older pairs are worth it.

To each their own, of course...I don't want to come across as dismissing other people's priorities.

5. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    I got the mini silver apps. Do you want the regular apps?

6. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Okay. Thank you. [​IMG]

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It's not a "sale", for those of you who aren't familiar.

Adult birds are sold and shipped when the weather is cold. Thus sales of adult birds are in the fall and early winter. They are not marked down in price.

As far as I know, it is the only way to get bantams from Holderread.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    As for price, perhaps too high for anyone who is content with barnyard fowl. Well worth the price to anyone who is breeding quality purebreds and/or doing any showing.

By purchasing an adult, you know what you are getting. You know it will be show quality if Holderread says it is show quality. You know it is the gender you want, and you know the background and what's in the pedigree.

It costs a lot of money to raise up a batch of ducklings and maybe keep one or two of them. It probably costs less to not do the box full of ducklings and just purchase the adult.

Hossfeathers, I have Appleyards (standards) from Holderread and they are extra nice. Worth the trouble of getting them.

9. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Colorado
    Holderreads ships adult stock because ducklings do NOT ship well...
    Plus, they grow their ducks out to grade them so you know what you are getting. ALL this information is available on their site.
    They respond very well to email, but they are very busy so give it time. But Wanita will respond to you. They offer top notch customer service and take care of their customers. They have a great reputation.

10. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Well it has been a while but he used to ship some day old bantams by a more expensive USPS package service, I think it was called Express Mail. minimum order of 10 birds [ could include standard chicks but not geese] he even had assortments [his choice] of bantams] many of us duck nuts used to order the assortment in hopes of getting a Silky Duck once word got out that they were sometimes included in the assortment I just jumped over to his website he still offers a bantam assortment as well as other bantams he will not ship Call or East Indies hatchlings~gd PS he also states that shipments of adults usually is over in FEB.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by