Holderread's Drakes For My Hens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckmeister, Dec 29, 2014.

1. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    Ordered 4 white call drakes from Holderread's today for my 15 white call hens. Hope that's enough.

Purchased a flock of 30 white calls last month; sold all the drakes and have 15 hens. I figure the slightly oversized hens will be be great egg layers and mated to the Holderread's drakes will produce some nice quality individuals.

In the purchase last month I ended up with 1 teenie tiny gray call drake also, so ordered a gray call hen from Holderread's for him. Can't wait for my birds to arrive.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Call ducks are so fun!

1 person likes this.
  4. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    [​IMG]

My first hatch from my hens and Holderreads daddys. 5 hatched the 20th of April, 4 made it. One has a little black spot on the top of his head.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Beautiful Picture, Congrats!!

1 person likes this.
  6. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    [​IMG]
    After bath preening. The little one from an egg left in above hens nest that hatched 2 days later than the others in my incubator. He's really little and seems fragile, hasn't grown like the others, but he fights hard to live. The bigger one hatched the same day as the hens's but in my incubator, he was the only one to hatch out of a dozen eggs.

7. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    This hen has laid an egg a day for the past 3 days, so I kicked her out of the nursery back out with the call flock today, looks like she wants to hatch another set. Her ducklings are doing fine without her and she doesn't miss them at all. There is only a wall seperating them, I'm sure she can hear them peeping, but she seems unconcerned.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  8. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    My flock of 15 white call hens is down, only have 2 now. My wife complained about the noise so much that i sold 10 hens, then an owl got 2 of the 5 and then my dog who I thought was guarding my ducks was carrying a dead hen around one day, don't know if he killed her or found her already dead, but now the 2 remaining white call hens and 1 gray hen are in lockdown, hopefully won't lose anymore. The gray hen has been sitting on 10 eggs for a couple of weeks now, so hopefully this hen who just went back out with the flock will keep laying, because the other white hen has just about quit laying. Went from 15 hens and 5 drakes to 3 hens and 5 drakes. Have been trying to sell a couple of drakes, but no luck yet. I do have 6 white ducklings and 2 gray ducklings, so things are looking hopeful :) Amazing how they multiply. My problem is i want to keep them all though. There's a word for that i think. Hoarding?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Duck math too is another name for it sounds better than hoarding lol. Have you been on your states thread or the Buy Sell trade thread you might find someone just looking for some call drakes. I hope you get alot of girls. I hope your little one makes it.

and Welcome to BYC if we haven't said it before.

1 person likes this.
  10. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    Thank you Miss Lydia! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by