1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Holderreads waterfowl

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlover54, Oct 28, 2009.

1. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Post pics of your waterfowl from there. They have like 100 different colors of runners. does anyone have pics of these funny colored birds?

2. gingernutranger

gingernutranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    If you are interested in buying dont worrk about the quality. There all really good. Theres pictures on the website and I would say people that have purchased birds from them say thats what they look like.

3. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    im not worried about the quality nor am I going to buy I just wanna see the cool colored birds that i've never heard of and they don't have any pics on the website.........

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have some holderreads welsh harlequins. The quality on them is much better than the metzer welsh harlequins I have.

[​IMG]
    My drake Tweak. He was just coming in to his adult feathers. He no longer has the light feathers on his head.

[​IMG]
    One of my Metzer hens, Shelley. She is mostly white, her bill is still yellow with black spots and she only has blue barring on one wing. The other wing is plain. As off as she looks, she is smarter than my other ducks.

[​IMG]
    Another Metzer hen (Wendy). I think she looks very much like a gold Welsh Harlequin is supposed to. Her bill is all dark olive now (she still had some teenager freckles in this picture).

[​IMG]
    Here is Bebe, another Metzer duck. Her bill was pretty small compared to the other ducks is she was a bit runty, but friendly and cute. (I say WAS because a hawk got her [​IMG] )

I have photos of my new Holderreads ducks but I haven't uploaded them to the computer yet. Maybe later tonight I will have time.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We ordered 10 SQ gray runners last spring, they had fertility problems with the grays this year I'll give them that, they shipped 8 grays and 2 fawn & blue (we did not order fawn & blue) Of the 8 grays 3 would maybe be SQ. We were very dissapointed. From what we have seen they are better than hatchery but not by that much. I don't know if they were having a bad year, we ordered because of what we had heard of their stock.

Steve in NC

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Unless things have changed, they will insist on shipping 10 ducklings, they recommend that you indicate a second or third choice. If you read the statement about show quality they say that to get a show quality you need to order and raise 3-4 birds to get one. No one can judge a egg nor a day old and pick out the ones that will go to the show. They are a Hatchery, just better quality than most. If you want show quality buy adults in person usually at a show, bring Money,

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Starting in the summer they sell and ship adults. They grade their adult stock well.

8. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I just got my fawn and white adult pair yesterday and they are AWESOME! I have NEVER seen such upright, nice quality runner ducks! & they are not flighty either, already settling down into the family. I am definitely pleased & would order again from Holderread's.
    Don't have any pics of my pair yet as it has poured down rain ever since they got here - but will post some as soon as it ever clears up.

Edited to say: if you look on their website under Photo Gallery Home, and click on the breeds, it will bring up pics. There are also pics of their runners on their pics of their breeding pens and runs.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    These guys are Holderreads....
    [​IMG]
    Bebe II and Butters
    [​IMG]
    Butters and Lexus
    [​IMG]
    Butters

Not great shots, but it was cold outside and the duck weren't cooperating [​IMG]

10. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

This is a male breeder from Holderreads (he's from show quality but has some white flecks in his feathers and some green on his bill)

[​IMG]

I just purchased 4 show quality adults from him and the new male black runner puts this guy to shame. The new female is stunning and almost as green as the one pictured. I wish my camera was working so I could show you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by