Holding Baby Chicks

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Greetings All,
Im a new chick momma to 6 3wk old black sex links. I have yet to hold one other than pick them up to move them while I clean the brooder. I see pics of people holding their chicks and even sitting on a finger outside of the brooder. If I tried to pick one up, it runs away. Also, if it did go on the palm of my hand, and i raise it out of brooder, that little chick is gonna fly and jump right off of my hand. Any suggestions? maybe I should not even bother trying? They are all super active and very curious.

Thank you to all the chicken pros out there. Your knowledge and sharing is EVERYTHING! 🐥 💗

Scoop them up under their tummies. Pet them, feed them, hold them LOTS! If you don't, they won't be tame.
Try approaching them on their own level rather than from above and allow them to come to you for taming. Good luck, and enjoy your flock.
X2

I usually hold them from the day I got them, which usually is helpful. I also know having fewer chicks is good, so you can focus on each more. Like currently I have 3 itty-bitty silkies, that are so sweet, but when I had 7 mixed breeds it was harder to find time to hold them all day.

I usually only hold them for max of ten minutes, so they don’t feel I’m “trapping” them: keeping them away from their food, water, and heat.

Definitely spend lots of time with them. When I got my first two chicks I was scared I would harm them. They weren't as friendly as I wanted to be, and now I know that you should KILL THEM WITH LOVE!!! (Figuratively!) The more time you spend with them the better. Allow them to eat off your hand. Just in general BE with them. Also, don't pick them up from above. It'll make you look like a predator. Instead, do what another user has said and scoop 'em! You should also try to be... small. Being big is scary. You must become one of them... Good luck with your beautiful baby chicks! :wee

Also, if it did go on the palm of my hand, and i raise it out of brooder, that little chick is gonna fly and jump right off of my hand. Any suggestions?
If you're afraid the chicks are going to take a leap (which at 3 weeks they will) best to sit yourself on the floor/ground and hold the chick closer to lap height. That way if/when they jump, they'll only be jumping a short distance.

They can leap up and down a couple of feet by that age, but an uncontrolled fall (like panic tumbling out of your hand) is more potentially dangerous as they could hit their heads or land badly and hurt their legs.

You could also fence off/enclose a small area and sit down in the middle with the chicks around you, and let them explore you as part of the environment.

If you're afraid the chicks are going to take a leap (which at 3 weeks they will) best to sit yourself on the floor/ground and hold the chick closer to lap height. That way if/when they jump, they'll only be jumping a short distance.

They can leap up and down a couple of feet by that age, but an uncontrolled fall (like panic tumbling out of your hand) is more potentially dangerous as they could hit their heads or land badly and hurt their legs.

You could also fence off/enclose a small area and sit down in the middle with the chicks around you, and let them explore you as part of the environment.
Thats a great idea! I have a resizable playpen things that I can set up in the living room with some puppy pads (?) for if and when they poop. I can sit right in the middle. Oh, what a wonderful idea! Thank you for your time Rosemarythyme and Chicken unboxing. When I put my hands in now to clean and feed, they do come up to me and start pecking my hand. Is this a good thing? They still get scared and act crazy if i go to fast. They are more calm if i sing to them, or speak to them softly while cleaning and feeding their playpen, so thats a good thing. My #1 rule as a noob is to keep them as stress free as possible. That I can control and is working good. I work from home and am always with them. If I leave the house, I have to be home within 4 hours, or I get nervous! The first time is always the toughest and I appreciate all the help. It really means the world to me. Thank you, Thank you. 🐥💗

When I put my hands in now to clean and feed, they do come up to me and start pecking my hand. Is this a good thing? They still get scared and act crazy if i go to fast. They are more calm if i sing to them, or speak to them softly while cleaning and feeding their playpen, so thats a good thing.
The pecking is curiosity - they're trying to figure you out and want to see if you taste good. :) Not an issue unless you don't want to be pecked (some people don't like it).

Using a singing/soft voice is soothing to them so not a bad idea to use that when you're around them, they'll start learning to associate it with you.

Allow them to eat off your hand.
For my chicks' first treat, I mixed some water in with their food to make a mash. I had it in the palm of my hand, slid my hand in from the side, and sat there until one of them was brave enough to peck at it. (Get comfy; it might be a while!) Then the rest of them joined it. It felt like getting tapped with half a dozen dull pencils! Fun for them, and fun for me.

Good luck! Enjoy your chicks while they're this size. They get big fast.

Back
Top Bottom