holding baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by andlo, Jul 1, 2008.

1. andlo

andlo New Egg

Jun 30, 2008
    Hi! Just wondering at what point it's okay to handle/hold baby chicks. My 2 sons (ages 5 and 8 years) are anxious to hold the babies. We are concerned about the chicks immune systems and don't want them to get sick. Also, we will be having guests at our house in a few days and we know some will want to pick the chicks up. Thanks!

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I let people pick up my chicks when they were only a few days old. Just make sure they only get held for a few minutes, they get cold quickly. If you're worried about it, wait a week or two before you start holding them.

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    We hold ours at a couple days old

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I hanlded mine all the time when there were just a couple of days old. Now at a month old they're super tame... perhaps even too much so!

When they get cold, they'll start peeping like crazy.

My advice for holding them is to hold them close & firmly. My DBF's kids were visiting when the chicks were 0-2 weeks old and we found that the kids tended to hold the chicks far out from their bodies & the chicks would fall. Their balance isn't very good yet so they're likely to take tumbles.

The other option is to have your kids sit on the floor with the chicks and let the chicks climb on the kids. All parties will love this!

Do warn your kids that they will get pooped on. Tell them it's for good luck!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by