1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Holding back laying or egg stuck?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PaintedMeadows, Oct 30, 2008.

1. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Our newly laying pullet didn't lay an egg yesterday so out of curiousity I picked her up last night and took a peek at her vent. I could see an egg there. She still hadn' t laid at last check. Yesterday we had freezing rain so all of the chickens stayed in the coop instead of out free ranging. She doesn't seem to like to lay when any chickens or people are in the coop with her. My question is, can they hold back laying like that? If they can then will it cause problems? Could the egg be stuck? Is it possible that she will lay 2 eggs today? Should I be worried? Oh, too late. [​IMG]

2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    This is a very good question. I was wondering how long an egg can stay just at the vent before one must determine that it is stuck.

Hopefully someone will come with a good answer soon!

3. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Anyone? I am getting worried. Still no egg. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would go ahead and get some KY and rub it on her vent. If that doesn't help you can serach egg bound and there are a whole bunch of remedies. Use KY before vaseline because it is water based and can be absorbed.

5. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Thanks debiraymond. I think it was you thread about your turken being eggbound that I just read. So I went out and checked her and felt her tummy and nothing. I don't see it anymore either so she either layed it in the coop and they ate it or she laid it outside somewhere but it isn't there anymore. I appreciate the reply. Your thread also answered my question about 2 eggs backing up. Glad your girl came out OK. I am not a turken fan but yours is a cute little chook.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Isn't she though? She is such a little delinquent! Right after that eggbound incident, she went broody, so we put her in jail for 2 days. That stopped the broody, but she hasn't layed since then. After that I bet she doesn't WANT to!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by