1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Holding eggs for incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by David Radsick, Jun 4, 2011.

1. David Radsick

David Radsick New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    How old can eggs be before putting in an incubator? What temperature should they be kept at while waiting to put in incubator?

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Hi, you can hold them up to 7-10 days before putting them in the incubator.

You can usually hold them longer, but their chance of hatching will rapidly decrease.

Hold the at room temp. with the pointy end of the egg facing down, and turn them

once a day. [​IMG] Good luck!

3. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Quote:2nd

Temp should be 55-65 F

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I have kept them for up to 10 days. I have kept them cool and also on my counter in a room where the temp stays around 80 degrees. My hatches have had the same success rate except the eggs stored at the warmer temp hatched earlier.

5. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    well i just picked up 2 dozen mixed eggs from a local farmer im letting them set for a few hrs so they settel down from the ride if i get them to hatch out its going to be a batch of mutts he said he has 4 different kinds of roosters in the flock and 8 different kinds of chickens got white eggs and brown in the batch so lets see what we get lol if nothing else ill get some meat birds lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by