"Holding" it

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Uzuri, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Forgot to post about this, but I'm still curious.

Anyone ever heard of a hen "holding" an egg? A week ago I moved my hens to some new digs, and this involved moving their house without them in it. They spent the day in a mobile run with a tarp thrown over. About noon one of my Wellies starting the egg song and seemed rather upset. She never did lay. If she was a person she would have been going around with her legs crossed. A couple others looked uncomfortable, and only one of them laid in the moveable run.

Next morning what do I have but three eggs laid from the roost -- one was a softshell delivered along with a good egg from my Wellie.

So did they hold it? You tell me!

2. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    I've had a hen hold an egg in because she couldn't get to her normal nesting area. So I'm gonna say, yes they held it because their nesting area was gone.

3. FarmerSandra

FarmerSandra Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2010
    I'm pretty new at this. But one of my pullets was kept in the coop for a couple of days and I think she held hers. No eggs from her and then when she finally got out, she ran to her nest in the yard and she laid a double yolker. I thought that was rather impressive and so I just let her lay in her nest now; it's out of the way and the kids have to climb the hillside, but I don't want her to get bound up. Do you know if that can happen? The egg binding because they hold their eggs? I don't know.

4. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    I'm not sure if it can cause eggbinding, but I do know they can hold it if they can't get to where they want to lay. Mine did that often. I found it easier to check the nests they hid in the yard than try to force them to lay in the coop. I'm hoping I can train my new batch better because they have a LOT more range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by