Holding Older girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SassyT, Aug 6, 2009.

1. SassyT

SassyT In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Marana, AZ
    My Husband and I are new to the Chicken World and we purchased 6 leg horn pullets that were around 6 weeks in May. I have a terrible fear of birds and have become obsessed [​IMG] with this forum for information and trying to overcome my fears. [​IMG] I checked out all the different kinds of chickens and decided I wanted a BR so my DH surprised me last weekend and bought me a 6 week BO & BR. I have fallen in love with my little Buff she is so sweet and cuddles too. The BR is not as cuddling but doing well with me holding her. [​IMG] The problem I am having is that I would like to hold the Leghorns but they are very flighty can I train them to be held now that they are around 20 weeks or is it a lost cause? [​IMG]

2. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:i think you could get the leghorns used to you more if you gave em some treats and fed em food outta your hands [​IMG] then maybe try holding them [​IMG] idk if that will work but thats what ive sorta done with all of mine [​IMG] good luck [​IMG]

3. Lilywater101

Lilywater101 In the Brooder

Jan 7, 2009
    I'm sorry to say that although leghorns are known for their great "egg production" they are not exactly famous for being "people friendly" they are flighty by nature. Also if you want to train chickens that are already "flighty by nature" try to do it when they are chicks. [​IMG] But it won't hurt to give Justino's advice a try.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  4. apukanski

apukanski Songster

Aug 30, 2008
    I have 8 white leghorns, some let you hold 'em some don't.

5. SassyT

SassyT In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Marana, AZ
    Thanks for the info. [​IMG]
    And I have read that leghorns are flighty.. I will just have to keep working at it.. I give them treats daily but I have to admit that leghorns still freak me out a bit when it comes to my fears. They have flown at me when I approached the coop and although they get close will not take treats from my hand. I think they know I want to hold them and they don't want me to..
    [​IMG]

6. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I dunno -- I am a little crazy about my chickens, so...when one is upset or scared or whatever, I pick them up so that I have their feet tucked up in one hand, use the other to hold their wings folded to their body (yes, sometimes that takes quite a bit of flap resistance!) and tuck them up under my chin and hold them until they calm down. Usually, after a few times of that, they start looking for me to comfort them and they become easier to handle. Of course, I've had my share of chicken scratches!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: