1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Holding pen for new hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mattemma, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I responded to an ad to take in 4 buff o. hens that will be a year old in March. I have 3 hens in a shed already.I am wondering what could I put together to hold the hens until I can add them to the 3 in the shed.I was thinking of using a large dog crate/cage I have,and setting that up in the garage.Would that be a decent place for the girls till I can add them to my mini flock? What have you used?

Also,when the time comes to add them do I take the hens into the shed at night and put them on a perch,or should I just put them in the shed during the day while my other girls are out in the yard/run?

This is my first year with hens and first time taking in new hens.

Do I have to wait 30 days to add them to my flock? Is 2 weeks enough to see if they have any diseases?

2. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    I have used a large dog crate and it has worked out fine. Is the shed large enough to eventually put the whole crate in it for a few days, so the chickens can get used to seeing each other, but not mixed together just yet. I just integrated 6 new chickens to my flock of 10--I put the new girls in the coop while the old girls were free ranging and then when the old girls came in, there was plenty of room in the coop/run for everyone to run around and do the pecking order thing. I have had them mixed together for about a week now and they are working things out pretty well. some pecking here and there, but not too bad. My most difficult addition to my flock was when i just had 1 hen to add. That poor hen got picked on to the point where i had to feed her separately for awhile. she ended up blending in fine when I brought the other new ones in.

4 weeks is the recommended quarantine time.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Thanks so much for the input. I have my shed packed with straw bails for the winter,so I can not fit the cage in there right now. If I don't get these hens I will definately put the cage in when I add the chicks in the summer that I plan to get.

Did you wait the full 30 days to add your new hens?

4. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    I read this as 'Holiday Pens' lol

Personally, I just grabbed the scraps I could find around the house and bashed something together. [​IMG] it worked, although I took me forever to work out a watering system that didnt instantly turn into mud (the answer was to put it up on a couple of pavers and change it every day)

And I waited 30 days, was hard though..
    It still took almost a month after that before I finally got them sleeping together though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by