Holding??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by btrent94, Apr 19, 2009.

1. btrent94

btrent94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Glendale, AZ
    How old soon should i start holding them for extended periods of time so that they arnt scared of me and enjoy my presence??

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have always tried to hold my chicks. I had 12 that hatched out in February and only 3 of them like to be held, but they will jump up on my lap just to be petted... all Ameraucanas.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Now, several times a day. Some of mine are much more receptive than others. Many need to be bribed with treats. Some relax as they get older.

They are not puppies; for many it takes some work, I have found.

But then I am no seasoned veteran.

4. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    SINCE DAY ONE!!!

No, just kidding. I hold them for a LONG time once they get their adult feathers. Some babies will let me hold them for a long time even when they're little.

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I'm holding many of the ones hatching here for extended periods each day, especially the poults I want to be very tame as adults. Poults take to holding really well. Some chicks are easier about it than others. Some are spastic.

Ones I have had to help hatch seem to accept the handling as just the way things are.

Many, as their feathers come in, become apparently uncomfortable being held and while they're like that I let them just perch and bribe the snot out of them, once they have feathered in well they go back to being more comfortable.

The baby duck I rescued from TSC throws his little self in my hands and starts beaking them and my face if he's near it. All over hi, hi, hi. He was hurt, cold, lonely and miserable and slowly dying when I saw him in an unheated isolation box in TSC. I asked the manager for him and stuck him in my shirt. He thinks I am very cool.

Be patient, hold them and hold still. Don't fuss really, don't pet them, just let them realize you're offering warmth shelter, safety. Many will accept that. Some if you stroke them will refuse to relax or settle and become quite uncomfortable.

Good luck with the babies.

6. btrent94

Apr 14, 2009
    Glendale, AZ
    They just seem to protest so much when i hold them and i dont want them to grow up hating me .. cause when i put my hand in there they freak out and start running away and everything and when i pick them up they try reallly hard to get out untill i set them in my lap then they just cry ...

7. UrbanPolish

UrbanPolish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    My chicks just came in, and there's one I've picked out from the rest, s/he's extra small even for a Bantam, that I try to hold and pet whenever I'm in the room with it. He's starting to come around a little too [​IMG]

There's only one that I focus on because it's easier for me than trying to hold them all equally (I'm new at this too lol).

8. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    As soon as you get them and they've had time to warm up eat drink and rest. 60 seconds to a chick is an eternity. Start there.

9. silverlining

silverlining Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Highlands Ranch
    I'm just a newbie, but my first 3 chicks are Brahmas, and we started holding them on day 2. They don't like the initial GETTING picked up (freak running away from the hand) but once we catch them we make our hands into a little bowl with our thumbs over them to keep them from hopping out (only one at a time obviously), in just a few minutes mine settle right down for a nap! (just make sure your hands are warm and dry. They HATE cold hands).

my friends mom used to raise birds, and she rubs her thumb VERY lightly in circles on top of their heads (while holding them in her hands in the afore-mentioned bowl position) and they go hypnotic, closing their eyes and falling asleep.

hope that helps!

10. btrent94

Apr 14, 2009
    Glendale, AZ
    ok thnx im gonna try that tonight.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by