Hole in 7 month on Silkie Beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gsweet83, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Gsweet83

Gsweet83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Sunny Florida
    My 7 month old Silkie has a hole in the bottom of beak. Eating, drinking, acting healthy! Looks great. Any ideas as to where this came from?

[​IMG]

2. Aime137

Aime137 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    Loxahatchee, FL
    How is your silkie doing? My cochin pullet got a hole on the top of her beak and I'm trying to figure out what to do for her. Were you able to get any information?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Gsweet from the angle of the photo it looks like the tip of the upper beak lines up with the hole in the bottom. Is the lower beak longer than the top? If so it may be the continual action of opening and closing it's mouth that is hammering the top point into the lower.

I've never seen that before - maybe she needs a chicken dentist.

4. Gsweet83

Gsweet83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Sunny Florida
    My vet seemed to think an injury that is trying to heal itself. She said that unfortunately the beak will most likely split but there us not much she can do as acrylic patches do not hold well on these kind of beaks :(. The malalignment may be from the way we are holding her.

5. Aime137

Aime137 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    Loxahatchee, FL
    I've read that they can close up but have also read that the hole will never close up. [​IMG] I guess it maybe a "wait and see" kind of thing. I hope the beak doesn't split! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by