Hole in breast/crop area,-Worried!!

chickenwoods

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
**||OKLAHOMA||**
I was feeding the hens and watching them play and i noticed my W. Leghorn looked like she hadnt ate(her crop was flat),i went over to her and picked her up and felt her crop and it felt like something was matted in her feathers so i lifted her feathers up to get whatever it was and it was a big ugly scab,i lifted som more feathers and i could see inside my hen.:eek: the hole is about dime size.no blood no infection by the looks of it and now im thinking that that scab was really food that she had tried to eat and it just fell out......I have no idea how she could have got a hole there,its worriying me,
I cant afford to take her anywhere to get her fixed,Im hoping it is able to heal on its own if i can assist it in keeping it from getting infected..Please help,any one ever had this :eek:happen?????

I would clean it up and pick apart feathers and skin to get a clear look at the wound. Then, some antibiotic ointment and a way to hold the skin together would be best. It's not that bad so she should be able to heal. If you can find suture materials you can try that. Or liquid bandaid as that won't heat up and burn like superglue. Or, what I've done for hull breaches, remove some feathers and use bandaids to hold together the wound.

Wow, that would be scary to find.
Its probably not as bad as it seems at first, silkiechicken posted excellent advise.

Good luck and keep us posted on her progress.

Thankyou for the words,i will work on her soon.will she be able to get nutrients??or will her food just fall out??

sorry could you reword hull breaches??i dont under stand:|

and for the wound,, this is a common thing???what could of caused it??

Silkiechicken must be a sailor. I think by "hull breaches" she just meant a hole in the skin.

On, a boat, if you hit a floating object and the outer "skin" of the boat (the "hull") is punctured or cracked, it's calld a hull breach. Of course, on a boat the problem is that the water on the outside starts flooding IN.... on your hen the problem is that her food falls OUT.

There was a thread recently about someone who sewed up a hole in their chickens crop after it was attacked, if I remember correctly.

Good luck with your hen!
Stacey

Back
Top Bottom