hole in chickens side!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensahoy96, Feb 4, 2013.

1. chickensahoy96

chickensahoy96 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    I will take a picture tommorow. Basically one of the roosters that i am giving away mated with this chicken and its spur punctured a whole in the chickens side. I stiched it together and it was healing but today it opened up and its bigger its about 3 cm long and 1 cm wide now. Im considering taking it to a farm vet where i live i dont know how much it will cost. What should i do this is my favorite chicken and my stupid rooster did this to her :( her name is big mike i have a picture

[​IMG]

that was a couple of days ago under her wing you can see the white tape on her. shes seperated now

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

how is the wound looking? I have only limited experience but did have success. Your hen might need more care....she definitely can't be mounted - good that you've got her away from him.

chickens are pretty tough and it's likely that she will recover just fine. I had a rooster hop out of my yard and into a neighbor's where their dog grabbed him. He had a deep puncture wound that I didn't notice till the next day when it had gotten nasty looking. I made a saline solution of warm water and table salt and squirted it in the wound until it was completely rinsed out. Then packed the hole with neosporin. I rinsed it out again with warm salt water again the next day and more neosporin. After that it, I just kept the wound packed with the antibiotic ointment and he healed up quick.

3. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    I think that is what happened to my chicken. I just started a thread asking what I should do. How did you stitch it up?

4. kellypepperk

kellypepperk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2012
    Delaware County, NY
    stitching it up isn't usually advised... tdgill did the same thing that we did with several of our girls. Amazing at how quickly they healed!

5. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure you want a bandage on the wound either. it needs to "breathe" I think. Just keep an eye on it, use the saline solution if it looks gunky or puss and put as much antibiotic ointment in there as you can daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by