hole in chickens side!!!

chickensahoy96

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 26, 2012
I will take a picture tommorow. Basically one of the roosters that i am giving away mated with this chicken and its spur punctured a whole in the chickens side. I stiched it together and it was healing but today it opened up and its bigger its about 3 cm long and 1 cm wide now. Im considering taking it to a farm vet where i live i dont know how much it will cost. What should i do this is my favorite chicken and my stupid rooster did this to her :( her name is big mike i have a picture

that was a couple of days ago under her wing you can see the white tape on her. shes seperated now

how is the wound looking? I have only limited experience but did have success. Your hen might need more care....she definitely can't be mounted - good that you've got her away from him.

chickens are pretty tough and it's likely that she will recover just fine. I had a rooster hop out of my yard and into a neighbor's where their dog grabbed him. He had a deep puncture wound that I didn't notice till the next day when it had gotten nasty looking. I made a saline solution of warm water and table salt and squirted it in the wound until it was completely rinsed out. Then packed the hole with neosporin. I rinsed it out again with warm salt water again the next day and more neosporin. After that it, I just kept the wound packed with the antibiotic ointment and he healed up quick.

Back
Top Bottom