Hole in Crop?!

monicastross

Chirping
May 5, 2018
Discovered a hole in my chicken’s crop tonight after noticing a acrid smell. It was packed with smelly gunk. Got it all cleaned out. Sprayed with Vetrricyn Plus. Soaked gauze in Vetricyn and packed. Covered with more gauze and wrapped her whole chest, under wings. She’s alert. Drinking etc. I can call vet in morning for antibiotics but not sure they’re equipped to stitch her up. Nearest ER vet that does chickens is an hour away. She’s my pet. My companion. She just turned 3 on 5/01. Will she survive? How could this have happened? Fight with her sister? Do they ever erupt?! Please help. Her name is Amelia. Buff Orpington. Thank you, Monica

Attachments

• 6F54E229-4D43-479E-AECE-D8016BE4B9F5.jpeg
    6F54E229-4D43-479E-AECE-D8016BE4B9F5.jpeg
    762.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 09330D12-DF3D-40FC-87EA-F254167F763E.jpeg
    09330D12-DF3D-40FC-87EA-F254167F763E.jpeg
    560.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 96B144BE-96B3-4782-86C4-B1FD232D10F5.jpeg
    96B144BE-96B3-4782-86C4-B1FD232D10F5.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 70C01C28-8FC1-4382-A397-91DDEDDC34DB.jpeg
    70C01C28-8FC1-4382-A397-91DDEDDC34DB.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 31
Oh no. I’m not sure of this prognosis. I think I saw a post once where someone had success in fixing a hole. I hope your vet is able to help. This is a really awful situation for you both. I know how you must be feeling 😞
Thank you. She’s my sweet girl. Praying vet can help her tomorrow. 🙏

No, I called this morning and they said she’s not a candidate for surgery as she’s too weak. She wouldn’t likely survive. As they saw her 2 weeks ago, they think she has a tumor that was blocking her digestive tract causing the back up and subsequent rupture of her crop. If she survived surgery to close it up, we’d still have the underlying issue. I was given a prescription for my people pharmacy for pain meds and told to keep it clean and perhaps try steri-strips to help close it up. She’s my sweet girl I’m praying the vet is mistaken and she can survive. I’m heartbroken.

No, I called this morning and they said she’s not a candidate for surgery as she’s too weak. She wouldn’t likely survive. As they saw her 2 weeks ago, they think she has a tumor that was blocking her digestive tract causing the back up and subsequent rupture of her crop. If she survived surgery to close it up, we’d still have the underlying issue. I was given a prescription for my people pharmacy for pain meds and told to keep it clean and perhaps try steri-strips to help close it up. She’s my sweet girl I’m praying the vet is mistaken and she can survive. I’m heartbroken.
Would you be willing to research fixing a crop yourself? With stitches?

With your bandaging, has she been able to keep liquids and food down or does it just leak out? Poor baby.

Yes I have. Someone posted a thread about it. I just can’t imagine stitching her without anesthesia? Pain meds? Omg ouch. She is drinking. Seems to be going down ok. I have her on a very wet mash which seems ok so far. I did check it this morning and it looks ok. Tempted to cut away the dead skin as it looks nice and pink underneath but that piece is what’s covering the hole from being completely open to the outside right now. Maybe after I get some stri-strips.

Yes I have. Someone posted a thread about it. I just can’t imagine stitching her without anesthesia? Pain meds? Omg ouch. She is drinking. Seems to be going down ok. I have her on a very wet mash which seems ok so far. I did check it this morning and it looks ok. Tempted to cut away the dead skin as it looks nice and pink underneath but that piece is what’s covering the hole from being completely open to the outside right now. Maybe after I get some stri-strips.
I can understand your fear over stitching without anesthesia, and I can certainly understand not wanting to do it if you've never done it before. However, poultry and birds in general don't react well to anesthesia anyways, and localized pain relief tends to be safer. I think if I was in your shoes I'd at least research it, but not being in your shoes I'm not sure I'd wind up trying to stitch it myself either. If she's able to keep down food and drink, and the skin looks pink, maybe she is healing?

Not sure yet. It’s only been a day. I’m picking up pain meds tonight after work. I will do whatever I can for her. If that means stitching it up to guess we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. Thank you for your support. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom