Hole in ducks bill ??? Any suggestions

mestaske

Chirping
12 Years
Feb 14, 2011
Southern Colorado
I have a female Pekin duck who has a bloody hole in her bill. I thought it might heal up but it has not. I brought her in today to get a better look and the hole is big enough to see her tongue below. It is at the tip of her bill. The perimeter of the wound seems to have peeled the layer of 'skin' on her bill that covers blood vessels, etc. It had lots of food and was dirty so I wiped it with a warm wet rag and put alcohol on it. What else should I do? I don't want her to become septic but her bill is going to be touching everything. Should I wrap it? ointments? Any suggestions are appreciated.

sounds like it was shot by a pellet gun or bb gun all you can do is keep it clean and watch her it will heal over i had a runner duckling hatch with a whole in its bill and it healed even thought it was a duckling but it should heal somewhat

I would separate her for a few days at least so I could keep her in a cleaner environment.

From this point, I would clean the wound with something gentle, like saline solution, or cooled chamomile tea. I would also consider getting some Veterycin wash and antiseptic spray. Keeping the bill clean and not letting it get too dry (not a worry with a duck, is it?) may be most of what you need to do.

I would keep in the back of my mind the possibility that a systemic infection could arise from the injury. I would dab triple antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever, which is toxic to ducks) around the upper and lower bill three times a day.

Some vitamins and electrolytes in her water once a week to help build up her system would be good.

How is her appetite.

Sad this happened.

Could it be there is something in her environment that caused the injury, or another animal?

It might have been one of the other birds but I am not sure. There are chickens, an overzealous male duck, a mean goose, and turkeys... I was wondering about some neosporin but didn't know if it would be bad. Thanks

Try putting the neosporin quite near the wound but not in the wound.

And I would keep her separate for a bit. If it was an attack by one of the other animals, it may happen again and with that injury, could get worse.

Back
Top Bottom