Hole in egg but no sounds or movement

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kimber, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Kimber

Kimber Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    How long do you leave an egg under a hen that's not making any noise? It almost looks like my hen is pecking at the egg, but there is no sound comming from it. She just hatched 3 chicks and number 4 egg is pipping, but number 5 is quiet even though there is a small hole.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It can take 24 hours for the egg to pip and hatch out from under her...It's slow process.....

3. Kimber

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    Okay, number 4 has hatched out and still no sign of movement or noise in number 5, it's one of our Americana eggs.

I'm concerned that if the chick is dead it will start to decay and it make the others in the nest sick if I leave it in all night.

It's the first egg that hasn't made any noises since it started piping early this morning. It looks like the whole is all the way through the shell and membrane, and just looks dark inside. I suppose it could just be sleeping.

What do you think, is it safe to leave it in will all the new babies??

Thanks so much!

4. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Keep us updated.
    I had the same happen to me yesterday...
    major disappointment.

Good luck!

5. Kimber

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    [​IMG] I'm sad to report our #5 chick didn't make it. I went out to check our hen this morning and although she was still sitting on the last egg, with the 4 other chicks under her as well, I'm afraid #5 is dead.

What do you suppose happend to the chick. The chick was pipping yesterday morning and made a small hole then got quiet. I never heard anything out of it last night or this morning.

Do they just die trying to get out????? I feel terrible like I should have helped it, but I thought that since Momma was there she would be the one to help it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by