Hole in foot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by veronicasmom, Jul 23, 2011.

1. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    My pekin was coming out of her shed and I noticed she has a small hole in the webbing on her foot. Not really a tear, just a small round hole. Do I need to be worried. She seems to be walking fine. She is not the most graceful duck, she sort of lumbers around, but this doesn't seem to be effecting her gait.

2. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I would keep it clean and put antibiotic on it. My friend got chicks with holes between toes, she had to keep them very clean to avoid infection .

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Is it a bloody hole or healed? I seem to remember, vaguely, reading that there are some ducks that are toe punched when hatched? Not sure, but look around and maybe someone will know.

4. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    There is no blood, no indication of irritation or anything. Just this neat little hole. So strange. She is in the water A LOT, not sure if putting anything on it will be effective. She doesn't seem like it bothers her in the least. Has anyone ever seen this? Will it heal?

5. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    That's so weird, I just noticed a similar thing on one of mine! Unfortunately she has some other issues which are going to need more attention but I was wondering the same [​IMG] It looks healed like yours, just a tiny hole, like a pierced ear kind of thing...

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Yes. Mostly it's for Identification procedures.

7. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    This is a little bigger than a pierced ear kind of hole. I can't believe she's had it for a long time and I just noticed it. That would be strange. Not impossible though. It just doesn't look new however. Will be keeping a close eye on her.

8. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    I've had my ducks getting little holes in their webbing before. They actually had a slight case of bumblefoot and I think they either injured the spot on the webbing or it got the bumblefoot and healed over. I didn't treat them for the bumblefoot but let them out on our pond and that cleared it up on it's own so I wasn't watching their feet every day to notice the webbing hole. Eventually the hole actually healed and I couldn't tell which duck even had it now. Your duck probably just injured it and ther was a scab filling it so you didn't notice it and now the scab fell off and there is a hole. You never know it could close up eventually too, I wouldn't worry about it.

9. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    She is bombarding all over the place, and when my runner had bumblefoot, she just sat because it hurt to walk. So, I just wonder if she stepped on something sharp and it punctured it cleanly. Sigh.....after a $543 vet bill for one of my goats earlier this week, I DO NOT need another vet visit. Please, please, please.[​IMG]

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Google "toe punching ducks" - it's very common by breeders and hatcheries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by