Hole in meat birds' feet

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by carress, Jan 15, 2013.

1. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    I'm raising winter birds indoors for the first time, and am dismayed to find holes in their feet. I've had that 5lb bird with callouses on his feet several times before, but this is different.

First of all, it is appearing in birds that way under 2lbs. IT worsens, and by 3lbs, it's really a problem. At first glance, it looks like a callous, but it's really a hole that occasionally goes right though the foot. 90% of the birds have callouses, 75% have DEEP 'callouses', and 20% have actual holes. In many of the birds, you can see that walking pains them. I don't see any blood.

The birds have been raised on wood chips and (mainly) hay. The flooring has been damper than usual- which prompted the switch to kiln dried wood shavings.

A processor I used commented on the condition of the birds, and stated that she often found birds from the hatchery (Moyers) to be sub-par. I just started using them this fall, and the change pretty much coincides with the move indoors.

Any ideas?

2. Hollow Point

Hollow Point Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    SW Louisiana
    Do you know where the wood chips came from? If the wood had been treated, chemicals in the wood could have done it

3. carress

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    The chips I had them on were bagged, from tractor supply. My friend brooded for 3 weeks for me, and the wood chips were from a downed tree that they don't believe was treated, but we're not positive.

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Can we get some pictures of these foot holes? I am having a hard time picturing what we are talking about.

5. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
  6. carress

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    I just saw these responses..I don't get notifications .
    I will take more pictures when I process again.
    I'm no vet, but I'm sure it's not bumble foot. It doesn't seem to have a 'point of entry', it's just like the foot wore out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by