Hole in my quail neck. This can't be normal, right?

Feb 17, 2021
My 3 week old celadon chick stretched up her neck and I noticed this hole/open area under her feathers. I have never seen this one any of my other quail but I guess it's something I could have missed once they feather out. What do you think? Normal or something to worry about? 20210727_182628.jpg 20210727_182633.jpg

Side note, it is NOT an open would. It has formed this way. It goes quite deep too.

My 3 week old celadon chick stretched up her neck and I noticed this hole/open area under her feathers. I have never seen this one any of my other quail but I guess it's something I could have missed once they feather out. What do you think? Normal or something to worry about? View attachment 2775853View attachment 2775855

Side note, it is NOT an open would. It has formed this way. It goes quite deep too.
Interesting, I would guess an old wound. Perhaps it happened a while ago and healed, leaving that pit.

Give your brooder a thorough inspection. Something caused that. Is there a sharp object that it could have jumped and hurt itself on? Could one of the other quail done it? What kind of top do you have for your brooder? Hardware cloth and really any kind of wire can have sharp sides. Could some glass have broken and fallen into the brooder? I'm just throwing ideas out there. Hope it heals up okay.

Give your brooder a thorough inspection. Something caused that. Is there a sharp object that it could have jumped and hurt itself on? Could one of the other quail done it? What kind of top do you have for your brooder? Hardware cloth and really any kind of wire can have sharp sides. Could some glass have broken and fallen into the brooder? I'm just throwing ideas out there. Hope it heals up okay.
It's not an open wound. It doesn't even look like it ever was. It's not a scab, just skin. It looks more like a deformity more than an injury.

If one of my quail chicks was ever injured and bleeding, I'd know. I am very hand on. The brooder is in my dining room and is checked on very often (and there are only 3 chicks currently in it). We'd definitely see glass or even if this quail was being picked on.

I will try to get better pics. There isn't actually anything "to heal". It isn't bloody or open... definitely hard to show in pics.

I appreciate the suggestions. Let me see what I can do about more pics.

It could be that it is just a deformity....although, I've never seen one like that on any bird! 🤔
Oh, BTW that's an A&M Bobwhite, which is actually a strain of Coturnix.

It could be that it is just a deformity....although, I've never seen one like that on any bird! 🤔
Oh, BTW that's an A&M Bobwhite, which is actually a strain of Coturnix

I know it's a variety of Coturnix but it was from a Celadon egg, from my true blue celadon cage of birds, so we just refer to them as celadons and refer our standard jumbo Coturnix has our "Coturnix". More just to keep the cages and hatching info straight.

It's not an open wound. It doesn't even look like it ever was. It's not a scab, just skin. It looks more like a deformity more than an injury.

If one of my quail chicks was ever injured and bleeding, I'd know. I am very hand on. The brooder is in my dining room and is checked on very often (and there are only 3 chicks currently in it). We'd definitely see glass or even if this quail was being picked on.

I will try to get better pics. There isn't actually anything "to heal". It isn't bloody or open... definitely hard to show in pics.

I appreciate the suggestions. Let me see what I can do about more pics.
Oh I guess I didn't realize what I was looking at. I wonder if it just developed that way or if part of the shell caused it when it hatched. very odd.

Back
Top Bottom