Hole in side of face where the beak is...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigbadwolf38, Feb 14, 2014.

1. bigbadwolf38

bigbadwolf38 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Central Texas
    I think my hen had a tumor and now it's gone, but there is a hole where it used to be. I can see her tongue and it seems like it's hard for her to swallow. Is there anything I can do to help it heal? I just noticed the hole today. The mass was there this morning, and now it's gone, like she scratched it off or something. Here's a couple of pictures...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like your hen may have canker on the side of her beak. Look inside the beak to see if there is any gray or yellow tissue there that shouldn't be. Canker is a protozoan infection, and a drug called metronidazole, Flagyl, or FishZole will treat it. Dose is 250mg daily for 5 days by mouth. It is contagious through waterers and feeders. Canker looks similar to wet fowl pox, so if you have any fowl pox right now, it could be that instead. Here is a link to FishZole for sale: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fish-Zole-250mg-Metronidazole-30ct-/111138148490

3. bigbadwolf38

bigbadwolf38 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Central Texas
    I don't think it's canker, and we already had a run of pox 3 years back. She had a giant "bubble" on her face, so I chalked it up to a tumor. It is gone, like she scratched it off or something, and now there's this hole. I'll check into canker, but I need to know how to heal her face. Is there anything I can put on it with it being close to her mouth?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by