Holely Moley Mole

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 5peeps, Jun 19, 2008.

1. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    Ok I just got done with my run yesterday and when I went out this morning to check on the girls I noticed a mole had started digging up the soil in side the run . Funny thing is I put 1/2 hardware cloth one foot deep all the way around the coop I would think he / she could get out . But my question is do I need to worry about chickens and the mole together ?

Thanks
    Will

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I don't think you have to worry about a mole. Once the chickens start scratching around the mounds the mole makes, he would most likely move on. He's just looking for bugs too. Gee, I hope I'm right. [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Your chickens will fight over him and he will be no more if they catch him. He will be a tastey treat.

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Yuck, Miss Prissy, would they really? The moles I have in my yard are pretty big.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Chickens are omnivores. They will eat the smaller ones. They love meat. Mice, lizards, snakes, moles, worms, bugs, etc.

6. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I hope they find the voles that are destroying the roots of my holly bushes. Of course, my cat Toby is doing a pretty bang-up job of that. Goood kitty! [​IMG]

7. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I have a chipmunk that lives under my coop. I wonder how long he's got? [​IMG]

8. 5peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    Thanks MissPrissy ,

I was wondering if they would eat moles if they caught them (please let them catch him ) he is killing my yard and my wife won't let me kill him I already had to drive one to the woods down the street .

thanks
    will

9. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Moles only eat grubs and bugs. Thats why they tunnel everywhere. I have them really bad. We've declared a truce. As long as they don't come up in the lawn/garden they can have the rest of the 5 acres.

10. 5peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    Mine are getting in the garden , lawn , and flower beds and for some reason it is only my yard he won't go into my either of my neighbors yards . just along the fence line ... Go chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by