Holes, Holes and more Holes!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tbrz70, Nov 4, 2011.

1. tbrz70

tbrz70 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    My chickens are driving me crazy!! They have not only managed to eat every blade of grass in the run area, but now they are digging holes so large that we are twisting our ankles walking in to get eggs!! It looks like the face of the moon out there!! I know they love to dust bathe and I have no problem with that, but I am afraid someone mainly us older folks are gonna get injured in there!! We have put some straw down but that has made it even more difficult because now we cannot see where we are walking!! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! [​IMG]

2. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    Thankfully our runs on a slope and we have hard clay for soil...but let me tell you after it rains...thats REALLY bad! They have destroyed all our raised gardens and dug holes everywhere else..when you find a way to stop it you let me know? [​IMG] maybe fill the holes with pea gravel and put sand down...im using wheat straw in my outdoor run. The sand wouldn't stay, cause its all DOWN hill at my place ( living on the side of a ravine is fun! )

3. Trish44

Trish44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Winfield, KS
    I did find one thing that I put in some of my flower beds that they kept digging in & that was pine needles. I layered them in around my plants & they don't seem to like to dig & scratch in them so much, it's great. There is one place right up next to their coop where I have a flower bed where they were digging big holes & every time I filled them in the next day they would be dug out again. I have put chicken wire over the dirt for now just to get them out of the habit of digging there. I probably will plant something under the wire that will grow up through it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by