Holes in chicken's backs worse despite medicine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bokbok, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Bokbok

Bokbok Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    I have put medicine all over their wounds that they inflict on each other and also on themselves. Its an anti-cannibalism medicine specifically for chickens, but things seem to be getting much much worse despite my efforts. I am so lost. I feel so bad for them, I am considering putting them out of their misery, the holes in their backs just seem to grow and worsen. I need advice!

Auracaunas, Australorps, and a Buff Orpington.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, not only do you have to put the anti peck medicine on, you have to separate the ones with the injuries so they can heal up a bit. The medicine is a deterant but won't stop them completely.

On a side note, are they cooped up and bored for some reason?

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I'm not familiar with the medicine you are using, but for one thing, you need to separate them, it sounds like they're overcrowded. How many do you have, and do you have smaller pens or cages or a way to keep the injured ones separated for a while? Are they in a pen or free range? Are ALL of them injured? Next, hopefully the wounds are clean, but in any case I would gently rinse them with warm saline and apply Neosporin or Terramycin ointment. Then I think I might start them on water soluble Terramycin for a few days, anyway, because if it's been a long time they might be becoming infected, but probaly you can use your judgement on that. That's what I would do, anyway. They will keep pecking at any sore place on each other, or anything that looks odd to them, so you can't put them back together til they're completely healed and then look for ways to get them some more space.

4. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    I just saw your post. Have you tried chicken saddles to cover up their backs? (after treatment of course) I made a few for a couple of my girls who were favorites of my roo. It's only been a week, and they are already growing new feathers.
    I got the pattern from here--which fits a standard americauna--and can be sized up or down from there. It takes only about 10 minutes to make (I didn't bother with snaps, just used elastic) and these outfitted girls are so happy!
    ----------------------
    15 spoilt chickens +1 semispoilt, 1 13yo rescue chicken-hound dd [​IMG] dh

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*My-My, The things you learn on BYC! [​IMG]

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Don't get us started on diapers, dk...[​IMG]

The peckees need to be separated from the peckers...
    Obelisk stopped pecking Penny and Slifer when I put WoundKote on them...

7. Bokbok

Bokbok Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    The most terrible thing I've realized about this whole thing is the worst peckers are themselves. They crane their neck around and peck their own wounds. I am going to look at the saddles and make some if I can. We are in a residential area and there are five of them in about a 35 sq. ft run, plus a henhouse that is maybe 14 sq. ft.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by