Holes in my silkie's comb?

RaptorChicken

Chirping
Jul 25, 2016
My chickens have been broody for quite some time, and i plan to fix it soon, but i don't know if this has to do with this. Today i was holding my silkie chicken, Blu, and realized she had several grotesque holes in her comb that had either healed, or dried up and fell out. I really hope any of you can help me find out what is wrong. I'll post a pic soon.

here is the image of her with holes all over her comb i highlighted, and the one i didn't. I may post a better image in the daylight if it is still not easy to see.
20180630_19243.jpg
20180630_192439.jpg

Is she otherwise healthy ? Eating ? Drinking ? Roosting?

Looks really dry , my silkies skin isn’t grey like that ... I’d run some polysporin on it , put her outside away from nesting boxes

Is she otherwise healthy ? Eating ? Drinking ? Roosting?

Looks really dry , my silkies skin isn’t grey like that ... I’d run some polysporin on it , put her outside away from nesting boxes
lately she has been cringing every time i touch her as if she is in pain - most fearful chickens i owned when i first got them did this, but she never did it in the first place. She roosts sometimes in the day but often returns to sitting on the bottom of the coop with my other hen who is also broody. (They won't use nesting boxes) i'll try to get polysporin

If she's broody and refusing to move she may be getting pecked. Hens can be quite stubborn about which box or spot they want to use, and if she won't move they may be pecking her to get her out of the spot they want. That would also explain the cringing, she's expecting another peck. If you don't want them to sit and hatch eggs, it's best to break them early on. Prevents things like this, and leaving them broody takes a toll on their body since they don't eat and drink well during that time. That may also explain why the comb looks a bit dry.

If she's broody and refusing to move she may be getting pecked. Hens can be quite stubborn about which box or spot they want to use, and if she won't move they may be pecking her to get her out of the spot they want. That would also explain the cringing, she's expecting another peck. If you don't want them to sit and hatch eggs, it's best to break them early on. Prevents things like this, and leaving them broody takes a toll on their body since they don't eat and drink well during that time. That may also explain why the comb looks a bit dry.
thank you for the information - i will try to break them soon and see if she starts to feel better.

Back
Top Bottom