Holes in rock hard dirt.....grrrr.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Maidservant, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Well, after working hard for 30 minutes on trying to dig a hole for a corner post for the coop I want to build, I only made 1/2 of an inch of progress....I've tried the post hole diggers and a shovel. I'm about fed up with it. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting these holes dug? At this rate, the coop will be done in 20 years, lol.

I have no money, but I do have building supplies for the coops, just nothing to rent or buy anything new with. I think I'm going to take the masonery hammer and get as far as I can with it. I'll only be able to get about 6 inches though. Maybe that will be deep enough.

Oh, forgot to say, I'm digging holes for 4x4 inch posts. 3-4 ft under the soil is solid rock. Most of the county is sitting on the same rock, so there's no way around it. I'm hoping I don't need to dig that deep though, lol.

Thanks,
    Emily

2. k0xxx

k0xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    North Central Arkansas
    You could try softening the ground with a water hose. Might work.[​IMG]

3. Timmo

Timmo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    I agree. Nothing tames hard dirt like a good soaking. Fill that hole with water, let it sit for a while, and it will be a whole new ballgame when you go back to it.

4. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    I found an old pick-axe and got one hole down to 8 inches. Now for the other 6-8 holes I have to dig...My dad said he would help me tomorrow, so maybe we can make a little more headway.

Thanks,
    Emily

5. rhetoric

rhetoric Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Western New York
    Here's a technique I used:

Tell wonderful neighbor who has lots of toys that you're putting in some posts for a coop. He comes down w/ JD tractor and auger and does 12 holes in 30 minutes.

You need to chose your neighbors better.

6. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] Just about the time I was gonna mention a pick-ax...you posted...
    another thing we do in this land of rocks....we will set a 5-gal bucket with holes in it above the area we are going dig.
    (we use these buckets for watering new trees and shrubs in the summer time)

If you get really desperate, and trust me we've had to do it, we rent a 'digger'...don't really know the correct name for it...but it's gas powered, powerful, and works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by