holey moley!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wildorchid053, Aug 8, 2009.

1. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Songster

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    today my son in law came over to visit.. he went to the run where the 2 roos and 6 hens were.. the roo jumped up over 6' and went for my son in laws face!!!! good thing there was the hardware cloth between him and the chicks.. do they always attack someone they aren't sure of? they don't bother my daughter or grandkids. just him.. maybe it is because he's a cop lol. they are all about 16 weeks old

2. chookchick

chookchick Songster

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Sounds like the roo is just starting to feel his hormones. He will likely become MORE aggressive as he matures. Please do not allow any young children to be around him, and make sure that all of you are prepared to fend him off if he attacks. As you can imagine, he could really hurt a smaller person! You also need to decide if you want to keep an aggressive rooster--he sounds like he might turn out quite feisty.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree!!!

4. mikesbigroo

mikesbigroo Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Altamont
    thats funny,,it might be a cop thing,,, lol

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I would not give up on the roo! Start now showing him who's the boss. Pick him up and carry him around and have your other family members do it too! He could be turned into a great flock protector and with no aggression to people!
    Good luck! I think he will be fine if you start now!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: