Holiday Gifts From The Kitchen Recipes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by vfem, Dec 3, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I wanted to share not only what I was making for Holiday gifts, but see what others are making as well.

I'm trying to do and share and find incredible yet simple recipes for candies or cookies that are easy to package. They also have to be healthy! No, I'm just kidding on that last one... who would want that!? [​IMG]

Anyways, so this is what I made last night so far:
    Toffee Sprinkled Chocolate Cover Sour Dough Pretzels-

melt 11.5 oz bag of chocolate chips w/
    1 Tbsp Crisco shortening (not the flavored)
    Over a double boiler

Dip your pretzels and place them on wax paper to go in the fridge.
    I put some toffee candies in the food processor and then sprinkled that over the pretzels for I put them in the fridge to cool.

You can individually wrap these, or I stacked them with wax paper in between and put into a plastic bag with ribbon to add to my gift baskets.

Then I made caramel candies, which I'm going to cut into squares today and individually wrap.

Honey Caramel Candies:
    1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
    1 1/2 Cups Clover Honey
    2 Cups Evaporated Milk
    3/4 Cup (1 1/2 sticks) REAL Butter
    1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract

Melt butter over medium heat
    Stir in remaining ingredients and get to a rolling boil
    Allow to boil over medium-low to medium heat for about 45 minutes
    (The magic temp should read about 250 degree to 260 degrees on your candy themo.)

Remove from heat and pour into a shallow wax paper lined dish. Glass of metal doesn't matter.
    Let cool in the fridge for 3+ hours to allow to harden before removing to cut into squares.

Ok... enjoy!

Now pour me some of your simple basket filling ideas [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I'm going to try that caramel recipe! Are they hard to handle when you're ready to wrap them individually? (i.e. sticky?) What do you recommend for cutting them?

3. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Man am I disappoint with that caramel! It turned into a THICK THICK cream! Grrr...

It was NOT a reviewed recipe when I found it, so I was the first (though I changed 1 thing, and it shouldn't have made a difference). Anyways, I scooped up the 'cream' and I jarred it. Its actually the perfect consistance for putting over apples. I just baked some brownies with it, and I'm topping the brownies with it. Warm it up and its the right consistancy for ice cream.

Now I do have a tried and true caramel recipe if you prefer... (I tried this one because the honey caught my eye!)
    http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Microwave-Caramels/13636/

This one had great views on the blog that featured it from several people!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yum! I'm trying those honey carmel things! [​IMG]

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:These sound great... I think I'll try them with pretzel rods for my DH since he loves pretzels. Thanks! [​IMG]

We're making chocolate no bake cookies to give as gifts to my aunts and uncle. Easy as pie, but oh so delicious!

6. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Here's a picture of the pretzels!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  7. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ok... I just made more caramel... and these came out as HARD candy.

I've never had such a hard time in the kitchen before. I prefer soft chewy individually wrapped caramels, and I just can't work my magic.

Does anyone else have a simple candy recipe that I just couldn't possibly mess up!?

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Try this one

KAHLUA FUDGE

1 1/2 cups sugar
    7 oz jar of marshmallow crème
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    ¼ cup butter
    ¼ cup Kahlua
    ¼ tsp salt
    2 cups of semi sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup of milk chocolate chips
    1 tsp vanilla

Line an 8 inch square pan with foil

In a 2 quart sauce pan combine sugar, marshmallow crème, evaporated milk, butter and Kahlua. Bring to a rapid boil. Stir constantly and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in all of the chocolate. Stir in vanilla. Pour into the foil-lined pan and refrigerate until hardened.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by