Holiday pies?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bufforp89, Oct 27, 2009.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I have a very large family and every year we make a dozen pies or more. What are some holiday pies that you make for your family other then the old standbys apple and pumpkin?

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I bake pies and cakes for the public and the two most popular (with family too) is my pecan and my caramel pies.

3. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I love a good cherry pie, and cheesecakes are also a nice diversion and they aren't hard to make either!! Apple pie is awesome, because you can make it with a dutch apple crust or something like that. Coconut, lemon and chocolate is also yummy!!
    I just love pies. My dear sweet mama, God rest her soul, bakes pies every Sunday morning. It was her "church" I use to tell her. Her raisin pie was to die for, and I can't find that recipe anywhere in her little book!!! My BIL loves gooseberry, but I never could get into them. What about peach????? [​IMG] Nothing better than that!!

4. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    DH loves my Cherry (or blueberry) cheese pie.

Make or buy a graham crust.
    Combine 2 pkgs of softened Philly Cream Cheese + 1 Can sweetened condensed milk + 1tsp lemon juice. Mix till smooth, pour into crust and chill several hours till set. Top with cherry or blueberry pie filling.

5. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:mmmmmmmmmmmm! Sounds devine.

6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
  7. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Two of our favorite's are Apple Cranberry with Sweet Walnut Topping, which I saw made on Good Morning America and later realized was an Emeril recipe. Super Easy and a wonderful variation on an old standard. (The topping is a lot like a praline.)

The other one is Chocolate Mousse Pie with Oreo Cookie crust. (My kids love this because it is delicious and they get to scrape the oreo cookie "innards" into a bowl and divvy it up. (Yikes!) [​IMG]

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

For you folks that like cheesecake, I have a recipe (around here somewhere) for an apple-cinnamon cheesecake that is D-E-V-I-N-E. I thought I was gonna puke when I saw the recipe but I made one for Thanksgiving last year and we all bout made ourselves sick eating it. I Will post it when I find it if anybody wants it.

9. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

It seems like I make a pie for everyone because they all want something different! We make a cherry o' cream pie for the girls, a pecan pie, a chocolate pie for Adam, sour cream raisin for me, pumpkin bars for Dani, pineapple upside down cake for the daddy and caramel apple for the little boys and then we always have some guests and the first thing we ask them is what is their favorite pie so we end up making a pumpkin cheesecake or turtle cheesecake (big faves with the guests) or some other silly thing.

10. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    WARNING! [​IMG]

Blonde Brownie Pie

3 large eggs
    1 ½ cups sugar
    6 tablespoons butter, melted, cooled
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    ¾ cup flour
    1 ½ cups chocolate chips
    1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
    1 unbaked 8 inch pie shell

Beat eggs lightly. Beat in sugar, butter and vanilla until blended. Stir in flour, chocolate chips and walnuts. Stir well to combine. Spoon into pie shell. Bake in preheated 350 oven for approximately one hour.

Brownie Caramel Walnut Pie

1 nine inch unbaked pie shell
    ½ cup chopped walnuts
    20 caramels, unwrapped
    1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
    1 egg, beaten
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 six ounce package chocolate chips, melted

Preheat oven to 325. Sprinkle nuts into pastry shell. Melt caramels with 2/3 cup of the condensed milk (either in microwave or on stove top, stir often). Spoon over walnuts. In mixing bowl combine egg, butter and remaining condensed milk, mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour chocolate mixture over caramel layer. Bake 35 minutes or until center is set. Cool.

Toll House Pie

1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
    1 cup (6 oz.) NESTLÉ[​IMG] TOLL HOUSE[​IMG] Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
    1 cup chopped nuts
    Sweetened whipped cream or ice cream (optional)

PREHEAT oven to 325° F.

BEAT eggs in large mixer bowl on high speed until foamy. Beat in flour, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat in butter. Stir in morsels and nuts. Spoon into pie shell.

BAKE for 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between edge and center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.

Jack Daniels Chocolate Pecan Pie

1 (9 inch) Pastry Shell
    3 Extra-Large Eggs
    2 Extra-Large Egg Yolks
    2/3 cup Sugar
    3/4 cup Dark Corn Syrup
    5 tablespoons Butter, melted
    1/4 cup Jack Daniel's or Whiskey
    1/2 cup chopped Bittersweet Chocolate or SemiSweet Chocolate Morsels
    1-1/4 cups Pecan Halves or pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
    2. Place pastry dough into pie plate.
    3. Trim dough even with the plate edge.
    4. Place the pie plate on baking sheet.
    5. Combine eggs, egg yolks, and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk together until well mixed.
    6. Fold in the corn syrup, butter and whiskey. Blend well.
    7. Dust 1/3 cup of the chocolate pieces over the bottom of the pastry crust.
    8. Pour in the pecan pie mixture.
    9. Dust 1/2 cup of the pecans over the filling.
    10. Dust remaining chocolate over pie filling and top with remaining pecans.
    11. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until set in the center.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by