holidays - anyone else working?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by SparksNV, Nov 19, 2010.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    My dh just got his schedule. He is working Thanksgiving eve, Thanksgiving day, Christmas eve, and Christmas day - all are 12 hour shifts (6:45am-7:15pm)....[​IMG] I'm very lucky - my unit will be closed on Thanksgiving day and Christmas day. We will miss him!

2. dela1991

dela1991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Delaware
    I am off all of Thanksgiving week but am working Christmas week...from Dec 22 through Dec 29 on the night shift. 8pm to 4am. Just the right shift to really mess up your internal clock. Oh well, somebody has to do it. It might as well be me. My kids are all grown.

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, most places I know alternate who has to work the holidays... if you work Thanks you get Christmas off... or vice versa. Doesn't apply to small businesses of course, but then those are family and if son wasn't at Thanks/Christmas then Dad would never hear the end of it. That's a major bummer that yours managed to get the short stick for every single one of those days. Likely means that someone else is getting every one of them off. [​IMG]

Does he have a long commute? Maybe you could do Thanksgiving a little late? And Christmas, at least some? before work??

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My DH is. We've decided not to celebrate Thanksgiving this year, since his eldest daugter and her family won't be coming home from New Mexico. If she decides to surprise us, she'll just have to eat whatever we decide to have before he goes to work that evening.

He'll be working Christmas eve and day too. He says he prefers to, so that the younger officers can be home with their children. It'll be just me and the animals at home, but honestly I think that's going to be fine this year. It's been a hard one.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  5. SparksNV

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    We are both RNs - dh works in the ER. I work in pre op/holding for surgery. The ORs and recovery will be open but our holding area will be closed on T'giving and C'mas days (only days holding closes). We have 13 & 11 yo daughters plus an older daughter (27 yo) and her daughter (our granddaughter who is 5). He may have coverage for Christmas Eve - one of the per diem RNs is checking her schedule. It just happened to fall on his days on rotation.

Commute time is about 35 minutes - depending on weather.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Yup... hopefully this'll make you feel better:

I'm working from 3 PM Thanksgiving day to 3:30 PM the Friday after Thanksgiving (24.5 hrs)

I'm then working the Friday Christmas federal holiday (Friday) from 7 am straight through until... ready for it??... Sunday at 3 PM. Thats uhm... I don't even want to think about how many hours straight that is.

7. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    My DH did 20 years in the Navy. My family was in Tennessee and his in New Jersey. We lived anywhere up and down the Eastern seaboard. We decided that the holidays are whenever you decide to celebrate them. Sometimes we had more than one Thanksgiving or Christmas. Always watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, though, even if he wasn't there and I wasn't eating turkey!

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] 24.5 and then a 56 hour shifts?!?! How is that remotely legal? The human body is NOT made to handle hours like that. I can understand pulling a double, but how the devil are you planning to stay awake and functional for that long without drugs?

9. SparksNV

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    What do you do to require shifts that extend that long? It is not safe for yourself nor for people around you. Why do you let your employer do this - or do you work for yourself?

10. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Trust me the body handles it... about every 5th weekend I do the 56 hour tour. Luckily part of it is "on call" and you're allowed to nap until you're paged.

I look great when I'm done though. [​IMG]
    And cranky... don't get me started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by