1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Holland Lop Doe not feeding babies!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by GracefulBantams, May 15, 2009.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have a Holland Lop doe who had 5 kits yesterday morning (she had 6, but one was only partly there....).
    They were all laying on the wire, so I used a napkin and put each one in the nest box.
    She has been in the nest many times, so I believe she accepts them.
    The problem is, I have seen no signs of her nursing them, and the babies sound like they are crying!
    What can I do!!! [​IMG]

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Rabbits will typically only feed twice a day .. early morning .. late evening .. and it's not unusual for you to never see her doing that..

If it's her first litter, and she had them on the wire, then she just may not know how to be a mom yet ...

I've always had does kindling at the same time, so I could put neglected babies under different mammas ..

Are they fat? or flat? .. they will languish pretty quick if they haven't been fed at all ..

I have never raised any manually, so I don't really know what else to tell you to do.

3. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I know it is not her first litter, but it may be the first ones she has raised.
    See, I have only had these rabbits for a year so I do not know if she ever had babies before that.
    At the very first of the year, I did put her and the buck together, and she did have kits. But it was during a very bad ice storm, and by the time I got to them, the kits were dead - she did not use the nest that time, either.

I did have my other doe with the buck on the same day this one was, but I do not believe she ever got pregnant.

They are not flat... but not as fat as some pictures I have seen of a nursed kit...

I've already decided that I am not going to raise them myself. But, I will help out the doe if I can.

4. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks [​IMG]

5. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    The doe isn't still with the buck, right? I've never had success with a doe raising babies if the buck was left in with her until she kindled.. some does don't even like another rabbit in adjoining cages (which is too bad at my house .. lol)

She may just be a nervous-nilly doe .. and not settled into feeding so the kits are hungry .. if she's feeding them at all, hopefully they'll be ok .. I'd just leave her alone, try to be as unobtrusive as possible when you check the kit .. remove any dead ones immediately .. and let nature take its course ..

Keep us updated .. deb

6. Sachasmom

Sachasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Are they in a decent nest with fur? Or just a box with some hay?

Just so you know, squeeking is BAD. Prey animals do not make "come and eat me" noises, LOL If they're crying, they're (pick one) Hot, cold, wet, or hungry.

Take the box out and inspect the kits. Their tummies should look like they swallowed a grape, and they should not be all wrinkley (although they usually are for a day or so)

Did she just give birth? It does take a day or so for the milk to come in good. You can bump up her feed or give a few pellets of Calf Manna to help her milk come in.

If you don't think she has fed them, you can hold her in the box to feed them (if she agrees with this!) or you can flip her and feed the kits one by one on her. Make sure you have a good grip on her, trust me, you do NOT want to have her punt the kits, ask me how much it stinks to put down a three day old kit thats been sliced open! [​IMG]

You can also foster them to another doe with milk, or hand feed them with Goats milk, I have not had much luck hand feeding kits though

7. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:The doe and kits are by themselves, but there are rabbits in adjoining cages...

Thanks [​IMG]

8. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:They are in a nest with fur... I do not know if she pulled enough, though [​IMG]

She only had them yesterday, so they are very new.

I do not have another doe with milk to give them to [​IMG]

9. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    All is well! They have fat little bellies now [​IMG]

10. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by