Hollaring baby chick is a midget.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MMorganE, Apr 30, 2016.

1. MMorganE

MMorganE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Austin, TX
    I had 16 hatch. 1 was about two days late and had problems coming out of the egg herself. Once she was out, she was rejected by mama hen. I brought her inside and acting as her mom. Whenever im not in sight she hollars and screams. At bedtime, I put her in her box and let her scream herself to sleep. Is that mean? Because i feel SO terrible for this. Also, she isnt growing. Her siblings are 4 times her size. [​IMG]
    That is her and her sibling. Any idea why she isnt growing and does this mean she could have genetic issues? And again....im not terrible for letting her cry herself to sleep, right?

2. chickenslave2

chickenslave2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    I don't know why she isn't growing, but acting as her mom, she wants to know where you are all the time. She doesn't feel safe without her mother, so she will call to try and find her, it's just instinct.

You're not bad for letting her cry herself to sleep because you can't sit on her to keep her warm and comfort her, but she doesn't know that. I like to heat up a hot water bottle and put in my chicks box, or heat up a face washer or cloth and wrap around my chicks so they will think their mother is with them.

3. MMorganE

Apr 20, 2016
    Austin, TX
    The heatlamp does help A LITTLE to calm her down at bedtime. Thanks, I feel much better about leaving her. For the most part, I let her be with me all day. She is just waaaay too small and fragile to be with the others. Thanks! Oh! I will try the heated wash cloth too!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    A chick that is chirping non-stop probably has health issues. The fact this chick is stunted also indicates it probably has genetic problems that are causing a "failure to thrive" condition.

Pasty butt, constipation, malnutrition are common in these chicks. You need to monitor its poop to identify these issues and treat it. Watch how much it is eating, and if it's not interested in eating, you may need to offer it some other form of food. Poultry Nutridrench can sometimes turn a sick chick around. It's worth a try.

Letting a chick "cry itself to sleep" does nothing to resolve its issues. If the chick had a simple fixation on you and just needed attention, it would only chirp when it sees you, and stop when you leave its sight.

5. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    Get it a mirror and a stuffed animal. That might help her calm down. You might also want to bring in a chick that you hatched to be with her. Make sure she doesn't get picked on my the other chick. She just wants company..

1 person likes this.
  6. MMorganE

Apr 20, 2016
    Austin, TX
    @azygous,
    Her poop is fine. 90% of the time it is rock solid. Constipation is not a concern and Im not sure what "pasty butt" is...her butt seems fine. She chirps a lot, happy little chirps as she pecks around eating. As do my 15 chicks outside. Maybe my post was confusing, but other than happy chirps..she is a very quiet chick with me in sight. The hollaring happens anytime (ie: bedtime) I leave her sight. So I really see no signs of any health issues as far as behavior goes. I Just feel sooo bad when she is put to bed.

7. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    Have you tried putting a stuffed animal in with her?

8. MMorganE

Apr 20, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Yea she has a little duck she sleeps with. Not sure if it helps much or not. I know the poor thing just wants her mama and not to sleep alone. Makes me sad:-(
    This is her with her duck

[​IMG]

9. MMorganE

Apr 20, 2016
    Austin, TX
    That is her at two weeks. So tiny!!

10. chickenslave2

chickenslave2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Quote: I once had a chick that happily chirped when I was with her, and chirped a distressed chirp when I went out of her sight and she was normal. I think she adopted me as her mother and didn't want to be left alone.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by