Hollow pin feathers after really bad molt??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RyRy2, Feb 23, 2012.

1. RyRy2

RyRy2 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Canastota, NY
    Ok, so judging by all the missing feathers on his back and the rumpled windblown appearance I assume my little Bantam Frizzle Cochin is going thru a bad molt, he is a wild little boy and not always easy to get a hold of, so I didn't notice right away, but what on earth is going on with his wing feathers, they seem hollow as some of them have broken and there hasn't been any blood, they feel like hard plastic or something..[​IMG]

any idea what could have caused this or what I can do to help? should I pull these in hopes that regular feathers will grow back?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    That looks weird. With a molt, they should loose the whole feather. Have you looked for lice?

3. RyRy2

RyRy2 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Canastota, NY
    I did check for lice as my LF cochin had them, everyone was treated and I haven't seen anymore, I did check him carefully and do not see any lice on him.. I understand the lice could have made him appear ragged, but he did have regular feathers, so if not molt, could lice have have caused him to lose all his feathers and grow these back instead? btw, he is 11 months old, eating, drinking, pooping, and chasing hens as normal...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by