Hollowed out stumps or logs!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Nunie, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Nunie

Nunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2016
    Sweden (for now!)
    I really love the idea of using hollowed out stumps or logs as planters for flowers (and also solid ones for the chicken run at varying heights to entertain the flock). But I've been racking my brain and I have no idea where one finds those other than when your own tree has to be cut down or falls on it's own!

So where does one find big portions of felled trees?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Call a tree service.

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Yup, A tree service can help. Also sometimes just walking in the woods you can find neat stuff. Here is a planter I made from a hollow section of a cypress limb.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Nunie

Jan 26, 2016
    Sweden (for now!)
    Thank you, I hadn't thought of that, although it seems like a very obvious solution lol

Very pretty! I had thought of walking through the woods to find stuff xD I was just a little skeptical of doing that because then you have to actually carry anything you find back out of the forest too lol

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Check around and see who near you cuts and sells firewood. If they run across rotten logs, they're pretty much useless as firewood and they'd probably be happy to have you take them.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nunie

Jan 26, 2016
    Sweden (for now!)
    Great idea, thank you! I bet the chickens will love rotten logs! They're usually full of bugs, right? :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by