1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Holly's wild (and torturous) adventure!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SilkiesForEver, Jan 8, 2014.

1. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Crowing

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I have been bottlefeeding one of our Dorper lambs, because her mother rejected her. She is 3 weeks old today, and we've had her since day 1, so obviously we have all gotten very attached to her.

I try every day to take her out to her relatives (she thinks she's a person), as it helps to get them prepared for living out there without us (we keep our sheep and goats on another property to eat down the weeds). Well, during transit, Holly managed to somehow to get out of her crate. We were driving at this time, and usually she "screams" the whole way, but this time I heard her bleat only for a few minutes and then I didn't hear her once afterwards. Stupid me, I didn't even think to check to see if she was still there. Anyways, imagine my horror when I go to take her out of the carrier, only to find she isn't there. The worst images popped into my mind. I was so worried. We checked the freeway (which was so horrendously scary I couldn't even look out the window), then checked around our home. No luck. My friend and I scoured the streets around our house, and still no luck. I figured if someone had picked up our little lost lamb, they either took her to the vet because of injuries, or called Animal control to take her to the shelter. So, we tried the local shelter. They had her. Almost all of the workers came forward to see us, and told us they had had so much fun with her. They said that if they couldn't find her owners, the on-duty vet would have taken her home for the night.

Anyways, she's back home now, and my friend and I are going back to volunteer at the shelter soon. What a crazy day! [​IMG]

So, that was Holly's crazy adventure. XD Hope you enjoyed it!

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Crowing

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Wow, I'd be so traumatized if that happened to me! [​IMG] So glad you got her back! What a blessing!

3. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Crowing

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I have a raging headache now. [​IMG] But yes, I am so very thankful she's home!

4. Chic CAN

Chic CAN The Wisdom Chaser Premium Member

Aww so glad you found her! Yes that freeway is scary. Poor baby. Did someone turn her in or did she get picked up?

My dog got out went a few houses down once and the people took him to the shelter. They never thought to ask around first. And of course they fine you for it.

Well now you can sleep peacefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by