Holstein Bull

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by josh, Jan 21, 2009.

1. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Would milk stock bulls be any good to buy and let run in the pasture and have processed? I know there are better breeds for meat but I can by weaned ones for $130. They would just help keep the grass down in the field and have a little meat next winter.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Yep, they're good for that...that's what we use them for! My SIL has a dairy...

3. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    They make them steers here in MO, and say the meat is great. The grain fed is just as good as the grass fed. Most folks raise them on grass, then finish them on grain for a few weeks.

I have people tell me that grass fed is better, but I do not know the difference.

Cheri

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would recommend steering them. They will be less dangerous and they grow out better.

Come and visit us at [​IMG] . There are informational threads and a friendly group to help answer questions. [​IMG]

5. PoultryScienceAggie

PoultryScienceAggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    College Station, TX
    We just bought a bull calf for $36.00! He weighs 210 lbs and is healthy. We got so lucky at the auction! I do want to fatten him up before we put him on grass...any ideas of a good fattener?

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A good calf grain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by