HOLY BUGS BATMAN!!! Pic included.... What are these?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickenaddict, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    For the past few days I felt these little bugs crawling all over me and couldn't figure out where they were coming from but all I could see was tiny tiny little black specks running around all over my shirt! [​IMG] Today i was in the process of cleaning out the garage and moved a few totes with broodies and chicks outside while i scoured the floor and mucked out the coop in there. I was checking on a hen in one of those totes when I noticed these little things EVERYWHERE especially on the ledge of the clear plastic tote and again all over myself as well. They are still crawling all over me!!!! What are these things, please please tell me its not the worst mite infestation in history [​IMG] I just treated the whole flock 6 days ago and sprayed the heck out of everything with Adams flea and tick spray and used fresh pine shavings loaded in DE!. I am literally crawling out of my skin right now [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    [​IMG] I am gonna guess mites or fleas. I'd recommend putting the food-grade diatomaceous earth all over the areas you see the bugs...and probably brush the chickens with it too. My guess is that when you treated the bugs 6 days ago, the bugs ran for the hills...or the clear totes in this case. The only reason I say dust the birds with the DE, even though they have been treated already, is to ensure the don't run for the chickens to get away with the new treatment. I have heard (though haven't tried) Sevin for treating fleas/ticks/mites. Might be worth a try.

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    DE is a preventitive. use the seven dust , it will kill them on contact! I use both weekly to keep those pests away. I treat the coop wit seven dust, the hens with seven dust & DE mix and then i coat the run with DE and dusting areas with DE.

Mites can kill your chickens, they usually attack at night and suck the blood from chickens causing aniemia

4. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    If you have a bad problem with the bugs then you will need to treat more than once. You need to break the whole cycle. You may have taken care of the adults but six days later their offspring hatched and this is what you are seeing. You will need to treat again and maybe two more times now. I like to use permetherin powder. That is what is in most of the poultry powders from your feed store. Good luck! At least your on top of it!

Chef

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have used sevin before and had them come back despite re treating them 10 days later as reccomended. This is unlike ANY mite I have ever seen before. Because my flock free ranges everyday they seem to get them quite often. Because of that I do NOT use the sevin dust and opt for the adams flea and tick spray with IGR I treat them and do it all again 10 days later. You are not suppose to use things like that often I have heard. DE is always used in ther coops/nests as a preventative only I know it doesn't cure them of the mites as this is definately not my first run with them. I have just never seen this kind and in the abundant amount that is there. When i cleaned and sprayed everything down 6 days ago that included all the broody totes and all nests, roosts, cracks and corners.... [​IMG]

6. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:you can't get rid of mites with tick and flea spray. And yes you can use seven dust often in the coops. some might be at different stages. You can also use permythium(spl chk) as well~ I have that as well.
    If it's an organic thing i swear i saw some spray at www.meyerhatchery.com

all natural enzymes

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    It's not an organic thing altho I have tried that route as well, that stuff is called poultry protector and is worthless, I just used a whole bottle of that not too long ago. The flea and tick spray does work well and it kills any eggs that may hatch. I have the poultry dust as well, I usually use that in the winter. I just don't get it I just treated everyone for mites now I have to waste all that fresh bedding and spend another whole day doing this all over again [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks for the advice everyone, guess I was just hoping someone would know what type of creepy crawly it was so I could treat accordingly. I just thought of something, if this is fleas I just brought it in the house and gave it to the cats,dog and furniture!?

8. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:It really looks like mites...sorry your dealing with them [​IMG] I wonder if the vet might know of something to kill them or keep them off your animals??

9. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Yes I would say you have [​IMG] If they are mites, fleas, or lice then the permetherin will kill them. You can buy it as a spray or powder. Sounds as though your doing everything right though. I think you may just have a bad infestation. Im pretty sure it is one of those three bugs though.

Edit: Sorry it is pyrethrins

Chef

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  10. Stina

Stina Songster

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    Do they fly at all?.....I've been having some problems with little fruit fly things....they look about like that. Permethrin/pyrethrins seem to work on my pests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: